Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

First post. Good Carp fishing with Buzzy

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Jim F. 
#1 ·
Sky Water Hunting Hat Vertebrate
Water Vertebrate Organism Fin Underwater
Had a great day on Banks with Buzzy Saturday. Water was a little choppy but the Carp were on the prowl and very plentiful. This is my first post and I'm sure I'll hear about it from my old friend!

See less See more
#3 ·
Engee and I fished the CR a few days before this place he just hotspotted and you are right, carp aren't always easy. They were practically non-existent in our section of the big river. And the only, repeat only, shot we had was Engee's and he spooked the fish. Like I never spook a carp on a cast, right? We both made up for it in spades on this big lake (no more hotspotting @Engee :rolleyes:). It was lights out good catching, and the damn guy out fished me).

#11 ·
Poaching @Engee's thread a bit while he and his wife are up camping on the Naches. I fished a trout stillwater two days ago and did really well with a little jig fly under an @Irafly Q/R indicator. The little jig out fished my stripped and sunk streamer. Today I went back to Engee's hotspotted lake and found some smallmouth and carp. 3 for 5 on the bass, 6 for 8 on the carp. Not bad for two hours. Hope the fishing is good where you are, Engee!

Water Organism Fish Fluid Marine biology
Eye Jaw Organism Reptile Wood

#13 ·
Gene - the second fish pulled a lot harder than the smallmouth.... a lot harder, not broken rod harder, but, you know, harder.

Seems quite by accident that I've discovered indicator fishing for smallmouth bass can be effective. The last four trips to the lake, I've started out with a hot spot jig under an indicator and have fooled bass on three of the four trips. With all the Glacial Lake Missoula erratic rocks for cover, it seems like I have more confidence to let the jig sink and not worry so much about fouling and breaking off on granite. Plus side, trout take the jig and so do carp - suspended and drifting or stripping the bobber in.

#16 ·
Gene - the second fish pulled a lot harder than the smallmouth.... a lot harder, not broken rod harder, but, you know, harder.

Seems quite by accident that I've discovered indicator fishing for smallmouth bass can be effective. The last four trips to the lake, I've started out with a hot spot jig under an indicator and have fooled bass on three of the four trips. With all the Glacial Lake Missoula erratic rocks for cover, it seems like I have more confidence to let the jig sink and not worry so much about fouling and breaking off on granite. Plus side, trout take the jig and so do carp - suspended and drifting or stripping the bobber in.
I'll give the indicator bit a try for the smallmouth at the reservoir I fish. Just kidding about the carp... yup... they fight like a demon!

#15 ·
Well-done, Pat! Starting tomorrow or thereabouts, it looks like we have a week or two of ~100 & 100+ temps on the way. That will pretty much be the end of Carp & Bass where I've been fishing - the weeds will go nuts, not to mention soaring water temps. I can't even tie flies for a few days, since I erred grievously and incurred a case of index "Parrot Finger," lol. And to think I'm the cause of my Darling Daughter's fondness for large birds . . . I don't know if this is an incident of "no good deed goes unpunished," or "the chickens have come home to roost" . . .

#17 ·
You sorta lost me with the whole parrot finger thing..... but obtuse I can be.

Blowing pretty hard out this morning so even if I had time today to chase carp, probably would be fighting whitecaps and that is mostly an exercise in futility trying to sight cast to fish that I think often look for deeper water when the waves are crashing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.