Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Budget hammock

3K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  Alex MacDonald 
#1 ·
Looking into a hammock for lounging while car camping and overnight backpacking trips. Budget options preferred. I'm 6'1" 300 lbs. Would a double be a better idea? Something like an eno doublenest? Going to be almost all fair weather camping.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#8 ·
That does look like a sweet hammock but $200 isn't in the budget right now. In your opinion is buying something less expensive going to lead to an unenjoyable experience?

#9 · (Edited)
Gary, a good quality hammock that is the proper size can be had for far less money than $79 still-too-short ENO Doublenest.

For $42, I'd get an 11' hammock from Dutch, a cottage industry hammock guru. He is known for makes all kinds of cool lightweight hammock hardware and created some top-notch hammock fabric as well.

https://dutchwaregear.com/11ft-netless.html

I'd get the 11' hammock for $42 in the Hexon 1.6 fabric (or the beefier fabric Hexon 2.4 if carry weight is not an issue).

When you order the hammock, all the optional accessories are on the same page and can be easily added on.

If you order a suspension system (also not included with ENO), you will spend the same as just the Doublenest. Since you will just be car camping and weight is not an issue, I'd get Dutch's cinch straps, which bring the total to $78.

For easy set-up that is perfect everytime, you might add-on the structural ridgeline for $7.50. This is easy to add yourself later but will help you get set-up right the first time right out of the bag.

If you will just be napping in the hammock vs overnight sleeping, you could skip the $15 dual knotty mod. This is something you won't find on big brand hammocks. While it isn't critical, it is nice as it virtually eliminates the flapping of the loose side fabric and creates a sort of footbox. Here's a video from the guy who invented it:

Anyway, if you got all the possible options, you'd be all in at $100 for an awesome complete system that would be much better than $110 ENO ($79 Doublenest + $29 straps). And if you ever wanted to camp in the hammock, all you'd have to do is add a tarp and maybe a bugnet as you'd already have a hammock designed for camping/sleeping. If you buy the ENO, you will quickly be be trading up to this Dutch hammock or one of the other true camping/sleeping hammocks like a Warbonnet, Hennessy, etc.

#13 · (Edited)
The Hexon fabric has one of the best strength to weight ratios due to its 6-way hexagonal ripstop. In other hammocks, you may have to get a double layer. But the Hexon 1.6 is rated at 350 lbs and the Hexon 2.4 is rated to 400 lbs! This means that unless you want a double layer for insect protection or to put a pad inside, you can get a single layer.

#15 ·
Thanks all! I'll probably get the 2.4 single layer. From what I've read I should be able to put my big Agnes bag with integrated inflatable pad right in the hammock if I attempt to overnight in it. I've read of issues with the pad sliding out from under, but hopefully with it in a sleeve in the bag it should be ok. What do you all think?

#16 ·
Gary, although I've only used a regular pad and bag in a hammock, I would guess the Big A integrated system would be better. Getting it and you to stay in an asym lay will be the challenge. However, it will be easier in an 11' hammock than in one of the short ones. Since you already have it, it's worth a try. You might find that you need it for napping. Most people need some insulation under them when the temps are below 70 or like me, below 75. And if there is any wind, you might want it at temps in the high 70's.

If you like sleeping in the hammock, you may eventually want to get or make top and bottom quilts. And yes, the whole hammock thing can get a bit like fly fishing in terms of continuously tweaking your set-up and buying new stuff! You've been warned!

#17 ·
Gary, what you'll probably find with using a pad is that the sides of the hammock will compress the bag's insulation and yield cold spots. I've tried pads, and a "wing" contraption that goes over my pad and allegedly insulates my shoulder area-didn't work. An underquilt was the answer to a super comfortable night's sleep. I found JacksRBetter underquilts to be a little longer than the Warbonnet ones: just an FYI.

#20 ·
Sue nails it again... if you think you may use a pad for overnights, get the double, so you only buy it once. Pad+hammock+sleeping bag+ asym lay = Slip and slide party. Wanna know how I know???

Literally had a new tube of auquaseal ready to apply some "grippy-shit" on my pad, because I was tired of readjusting my insulation every time I moved throughout the night. Thought this was the solution to sliding around. Made a DIY underquilt instead.

Get the proper suspension as well, it's so worth it for ease and flexibility. Strongly recommend a ridgeline too. This keep all things cozy, no matter the suspension distance. Man oh man is it time to get out in the dirt and trees, thanks for the nudge Gary

#21 ·
Literally had a new tube of auquaseal ready to apply some "grippy-shit" on my pad, because I was tired of readjusting my insulation every time I moved throughout the night.
man oh man, isn't THAT the truth! Why is it that sleeping bag and pad designers all think everybody sleeps like King Tut? 20-inch wide pad my ASS!!!

I have a spot for a hang, as well: confluence of French and Icicle Creeks, 1.5 miles of easy trail into Alpine Lakes Wilderness. Good fishing there, too. Lots of trees, water source is right there, no fires though. We can muster at my place, carpool to the trailhead, and hike in from there. Pretty much every weekend is open right now. Thursday & Friday are also possible, as are Monday/Tuesdays depending on Her Ladyship's work schedule.

#22 ·
I just ordered a hammock from Dutch. I went with the 11 ft, 2.4 Hexon, single layer, with cinch straps, ridgeline, and dual knotty mod in coyote brown. I went single layer thinking that if my bag/pad setup works great, if not I'll end up going to underquilt/topquilt anyways so dual layer would not be necessary.

Alex, How are the mosquitoes up that way? I didn't buy netting with this purchase.

I can do weekends, but prefer weekdays since the wife is free on weekends and its nice to get that time together. I need to finalize our summer calendar then I can give you a firm yes/no on dates. @Ed Call are you going to make it over for a hang?

Reactions: Mumbles
#24 ·
I got the hammock strung up today and hung in the park for a bit at the midpoint of my bike ride. Pretty darn comfy. It was really interesting to feel the breeze cool my back down so much at 75 degrees but I was plenty warm.

A couple of questions/clarifications though:
Is the intent of the ridgeline is to prevent the user from putting too much tension on the hammock prior to getting in? I imagine it serves a secondary purpose to structure for big net and tarp.

The straps I have are quite long allowing for variation in tree distance. Is it better to have the distance from hammock gathered end to tree short, long, medium, or does it matter at all?

Is it normal to have 1 wide of the hammock extend much above the head?

#25 ·
If I understand your questions correctly, I'll take a shot at them. The intent of the Ridgeline is to First ensure that there is appropriate sag in the fabric of the material of the hammock. It is second to allow structure to drape a mosquito net hang small items or whatever creative uses you might find for it. The structural Ridgeline Advantage is that if you have variations in your strap angles from setup to setup it tries to make sure that your hammock is still comfortable.

As far as tree distances, you will find The Sweet Spot for yourself. Likely Five Paces at a minimum seven or eight Paces at a maximum. If you are asking about centering your hammock in between the trees, I have hung mine several times closer to one tree or the other for intentional purposes, but I believe it to be ideal to be centered. Obviously the further apart the trees the higher the straps must wrap around the trees in order to keep your backside comfortably above the ground. You will also find The Sweet Spot for hanging your hammock with regard to distance from the ground. Some of the guys I hang with have their backsides extremely low to the ground. Others much higher. I like to be able to sit on the edge of my hammock with my knees bent approximately 90 degrees and my feet touching the ground. In my bridge hammock this means when in initially set up it is approximately hip high before I put my weight into the fabric.

I'm not sure about your question about one end or the other. I am assuming you're asking should one end of the hammock be higher than the other. If that is the question yes, generally the foot end of your hammock should be installed approximately 6 inches to 12 inches higher so that as you lay in the hammock with your upper body main Mass in the lower end you don't slide into your foot box.

#26 ·
If you are talking about the hammock fabric on the side when laying as much diagonally as possible, yes you will find one side of the hammock is high at the head end and the opposing side of the hammock fabric is high on the foot in. This is because in a gathered in Hammock there is equal material on each side of the long axis and you are laying diagonally across it. As the end of your body approaches the edge of the fabric and moves further away from the long axis of the hammock you get less fabric on that side and we'll have much more on the opposing side.

#27 ·
Yep. Ed's got it right on. Another thing to consider is wet weather. The straps can wick moisture down into your sleeping area, and the more sag, the more pronounced the wicking action. We solve the water issue, which in serious rain can actually be water running down the straps, by tying a "drip guide" into them just under the rain fly/tent setup.

So, you guys get together on a hang yet? I've got a spare skeeter net that you can borrow, Gary. Weekdays work for me, especially Thurdsday-Fridays every other week, and Ed's not teaching school now, as far as I know. Do you want me to see if I can find that "wing" setup?

And bring the small-water rods; the Icicle should be low enough in 1-2 more weeks to be wadeable.

#28 · (Edited)
I use a regular self-inflating ground pad in my hammock during the summer.I glued two pieces of 1" webbing in the corners opposite of the air valve.I use these to fasten a loop of para cord which I run through the top chord [just above the gathered end] of the hammock.This keeps the pad from sliding down on the hammock.I did the same with my bag but just one in the center.It works great for me.That little mod was a game changer.I do this because if I get to say Mildred lakes and the mosquitoes are obnoxious I can set my tarp up on the ground and still have a pad for the ground, giving me refuge from the bugs, with room to cook etc.

I am also building a mosquito net that drapes from the tarp, not the hammock.the hammock runs through it but he netting drapes from the tarp in porch mode essentially forming a small room.think one of these with two extensions to allow for the extra length of the hammock.

http://www.coghlans.com/products/backwoods-mosquito-net-double-green-9765

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.