Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

cool stuff coming off your vise. show us here.

2M views 22K replies 543 participants last post by  ScottP 
#1 · (Edited)
o_O

PNWFFF, that's where I'd be heading if I were you.

#4,828 · (Edited)
Haven't tied much lately due to home projects.
I had good luck this winter and spring with similar patterns in smaller sizes.
The tail is Icelandic Sheep with a Polar Chenille body.
I hope to stuff these in the face of a few coho in the next few weeks.
SF

Plant Flower Green Terrestrial plant Flowering plant

#4,829 ·
Haven't tied much lately due to home project.
I had good luck this winter and spring with similar patterns in smaller sizes.
The tail is Icelandic Sheep with a Polar Chenille body.
I hope to stuff these in the face of a few coho in the next few weeks.
SF

View attachment 144408
Just like the Comets of salmon fishing lore, those are "Streaking Meat-e-ors"...!! :D

#4,830 ·
View attachment 144106 My mate in the seatrout video works in the flyshop close to my work, so i go there often! He is more interested in fishing & photography then flytying, so i don't mind throwing him flies for all the good deals i get! I gave him the articulated shrimp the other day, he said it should catch a monster Arctic char in Finnmark this summer! Then asked if i could make a very small snail, cos' the char he kept last summer all had stomach's full of them! Beer to help tickle the creative nerves in the brain yesturday helped make these! Black cdc for a bit of movement on a Hanak H130BL #20. cut a thin piece of Veniard's tungsten sheet, wrapped it on & covered it with UV resin thin!
My dad used to fish a lake in Eastern Washington where the fish would hit his split shot and ignore his fly. So he tied a little grey fuzzball of a fly, caught a trout and found it full of snails. Fishing is great.

#4,832 ·
No tying last night - we got absolutely shelled by the most ferocious thunderstorm I've witnessed in 35 years in this area - lightning, thunder, freaky high wind gusts & torrential rain sat on top of the Tri Cities area for a good 2-plus hours. I have lots of leaves, small branches, miscellaneous other debris & a couple loose fence posts to deal with today. My bird dog wasn't scared, but we both shared several WTF moments spawned by repeated close strikes & incredibly sharp, cracking, immediate blasts of thunder. I'll be busy after things dry out later today. Amazingly there was no power interruption, although I had all spendy electronics turned-off & unplugged. It was a bad evening to be a tree squirrel I'm guessing . . .

#4,834 ·
No tying last night - we got absolutely shelled by the most ferocious thunderstorm I've witnessed in 35 years in this area - lightning, thunder, freaky high wind gusts & torrential rain sat on top of the Tri Cities area for a good 2-plus hours. I have lots of leaves, small branches, miscellaneous other debris & a couple loose fence posts to deal with today. My bird dog wasn't scared, but we both shared several WTF moments spawned by repeated close strikes & incredibly sharp, cracking, immediate blasts of thunder. I'll be busy after things dry out later today. Amazingly there was no power interruption, although I had all spendy electronics turned-off & unplugged. It was a bad evening to be a tree squirrel I'm guessing . . .
Hope not too much damage your way except fried tree rats! We kept waiting for the storm to come through instead just wind and the sky got smoky, then smokier. By sunset, which was very pretty with all the smoke in the air, the smell of smoke was quite intense. Lots of haze this morning; warm smell of cheat grass, rising up through the air.

#4,836 ·
These was a fire at Hanford & I smelled smoke briefly before the downpour hit, then nothing after that. One house west of me a ways took a lightning strike & I believe it was a total loss. Streets flooded & sections washed-out, flood warnings for the Yakima & things will be off-color around here for a spell. I'll have to get some fence estimates after things settle down - my back won't let me do that work anymore. I stabilized the fence & it didn't go down, but I'm sure a lot of fences around here did. There are a couple big limbs down in the neighbor lady's yard; I'll take care of those for her after she gets up.

I'm starting to think I'm not supposed to fish anymore . . .

#4,837 ·
Nicely done.
I have several versions of his flies that he tied. The most "killing" version is with - Peacock herl for abdomen with Brown Hackle. He doesn't strip one side either...[at least I don't recall him doing so].

Here's a video of him tying it; he has modified it over the years since this video...

Great video fin, the dude seems like a real character.

#4,839 ·
Great video fin, the dude seems like a real character.
"Hippie, eccentric, eclectic" are just a few of his descriptive traits.
Overall, he has a vast knowledge of the sport of fly fishing and fly tying, willing to always share, and just one helluva nice guy.
If ya get a chance to watch him tie at a show/expo...do so. :D