Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Okay, honestly, how hard is it to build up a rod?

Rod Building 
3K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  Silvertone 
#1 ·
I've never built a rod. I have a general sense of the idea. But I've never tried to do it myself.

Is this a reasonable outline of the process:

http://flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/

Is it easier than he makes it sound? Harder?

#2 ·
Josh,

The actual wrapping is not difficult, especially if you are not trying to do multi-color wraps or small trim bands. Making sure all the guides are aligned just tale patience and an eye for detail. The hardest part is getting smooth even epoxy without big footballs. This part takes practice.

#3 ·
While of course I'd like it to look pretty, on a rod I built myself I could live with a lumpy epoxy job as long as it was just a cosmetic thing. I worry more about performance stuff like aligning guides and finding the 'spline" or whatever that is called.

#4 ·
It's totally not difficult. There are tons of online resources, but I also picked up a book, though I can't recall the name of it at the moment.

The biggest thing is to just go slow, take your time. My first couple rods weren't so pretty (football-shaped epoxy as noted above), but they are all functional. My first build was a 6'6" 2wt kit that is still in use, probably my most used rod.

One tip I might suggest is to not start with a lightweight rod. I did have a hard time wrapping the tip section because it's so thin and flexy. Heavier rods are a lot easier.

#5 ·
It's totally not difficult. There are tons of online resources, but I also picked up a book, though I can't recall the name of it at the moment.

The biggest thing is to just go slow, take your time. My first couple rods weren't so pretty (football-shaped epoxy as noted above), but they are all functional. My first build was a 6'6" 2wt kit that is still in use, probably my most used rod.

One tip I might suggest is to not start with a lightweight rod. I did have a hard time wrapping the tip section because it's so thin and flexy. Heavier rods are a lot easier.
Good deal. Thanks.

I would probably start with a 6-8 wt switch if I was going to build one. So a reasonable size for sure.

#6 ·
It's really a straight forward process. Some blanks come with the spline marked but if they don't it's easy to find. Fitting the grip may require a bit of work and lining up the guides just takes the time to do it right. You don't need a high end rod wrapper, the small ones work just fine. One thing you should consider would be to buy, rent, or make a rod turner. This really helps when you put the finish on the wraps.

GBeeman

#7 ·
Nothing beats seeing someone else doing it

So while it is not that hard, you can pick it up easier by doing your first one in a rod building class, which some flyfishing clubs do annually, or with someone else who is experienced.

If no resources are available, then by all means go for it on your own.

You can order complete kits with all the parts you need selected to fit and work together.

Selecting all the components each by yourself without experience could be a problem, e.g. Reel seat may or may not recess into the cork grip, so the cork grip needs to be selected accordingly

I don't know if there are good demos on YouTube

Jay

#10 ·
Kits take a lot of the hassle out of the process and are a great way to start. There are a couple of shops in WA that offer great kits. The last one I did was a 5wt z-axis kit from a shop in WA and the components were top notch. There are some very good resources on the internet to help you out if you are stumped about something or need to get out of trouble. I really enjoy it.

#13 ·
flex coat, mudhole and youtube all have great how to's. Between all 3 of them they could show you from start to fishing. A kit is a great way to start until you get the hang of it and most will to be sucked into the rod building black hole costing lots of $$$$$$$

#15 ·
It's really easy and enjoyable. I've built a half dozen rods - gave a couple to my sons. Check out Rodbuilding.org which has links to on-line retailers that sell all kinds of kits - from the very inexpensive to Orvis and Sage blanks.

#16 ·
Josh,

I've been curious about building my own stick and also browsed through this site before.

I'm not sure how far North you live, but Gregs custom fishing rods in Lake Stevens has beginner kits and classes for those wanting to build thier own.

#18 ·
Well a class is out of the question. Any shop giving classes is going to be over an hour away (and more likely two). So it's pretty much "choose your own adventure" for me. But I do have some buddies up here I can lean on for help if I get confused or stuck. So that will be good.

#22 ·
There are a lot of resources on the net. Starting with a kit is a good idea. But, to be honest once you start it is addicting.

My advice is to re-wrap a rod you don't use a whole lot. Strip the guides off. Re-wrap, and finish it. It will give you some good practice. When you are done you can fish it, if you screw it up no big deal. After you are done with the first one it will get alot easier.

#23 ·
Just checked and H&H has a Batson 6 wt. switch kit for about 166$
Not sure what you want to spend but you might look at Bob Meiser's blanks.
I built an 11067sh that I really like. I think the blank was about 155$ a couple
of years ago. I bought the blank (comes with sock) and guides 30$? from him and
bought a Batson grip w/seat @40$, tube around 20$, and knurled winding check
about 5$ from H&H. All said I've got great rod for around 250$. If you are thinking
that route call Bob and discuss your needs. Great guy to talk to and probably would
save you from doing it twice. I also went with a 424 gr. SGS Scandit line from him which
works well and could also save you from doing the "line thing" 2 or 3 times which seems all
too common in this world of spey. As far as building pretty much as others say and time
and patience. On guide wrapping remember nothing is permanent until you apply finish, I
always end up doing one or two a couple of times until I'm satisfied. On finish make sure you
follow directions to the tee, mix well, room temp, dust/lint inthe air, etc. One other tip
I often cut surgical tubing into mini rubber bands to temporarily hold my guides while wrapping.
You also would probably want a cork reamer, I'll also use various sizes of rattail files on a
cordless drill at times. Other tools can go from simple to expensive. I have a Renzetti rod lathe
for turning cork,wrapping etc. and an old bbq rotisserie motor and homemade stands for
turning finish.As they say YOU CAN DO IT!!!

#24 ·
There are a lot of resources on the net. Starting with a kit is a good idea. But, to be honest once you start it is addicting.

My advice is to re-wrap a rod you don't use a whole lot. Strip the guides off. Re-wrap, and finish it. It will give you some good practice. When you are done you can fish it, if you screw it up no big deal. After you are done with the first one it will get alot easier.
I agree on this one. I have some broken/scrap blanks that I'll experiment on. You can practice wrapping, writing if desired, and get an idea how the finish reacts, working time etc.

#27 ·
I would check out utmostenterprises.com. They are out of sequim and are a batson ,PAC Bay dealers. They can help you with all the stuff you would need. They have a lot of close out blanks and components. They have some blanks that you could build and have around $50 in a complete useable rod.
If you need more info or help feel free to give me a call. I have built more than 30 rods.
Mike
360-316-9710

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.