Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

vehicle kills wolf on blewett pass

9K views 93 replies 42 participants last post by  Richard Olmstead 
#1 ·
this is a quote from the tricity herald on sunday, today. give that vehicle a medal or a trophy. and it was a female. mike w

This post has been deleted
#38 ·
What is the obsession with wolves on this forum? Is there not a wolf forum out there. Besides i hear they only hunt humans occupying good swing water and not stepping quickly enough. Except of course the ones all over the OP i see them all the time. Not safe here stay away till the problem is under control. To make matters worse they are a syfy channel super breed from a little known top secret project at the satsop nuclear facility. You've been warned.
At one time, "commies" and "reds" were the bad guys. Nowadays, it's "wolves". I suppose it could be worse and we could be dealing with "commie red wolves".

#48 ·
Now wait a minute I have it on good authority that wolves have eaten everything in sight vehicles are the obvious next step. this come as a surprise to no one... or was the wolf driving the car and ejected because in a drunken stupor he could not latch his seat belt???

#60 ·
Now wait a minute I have it on good authority that wolves have eaten everything in sight vehicles are the obvious next step. this come as a surprise to no one... or was the wolf driving the car and ejected because in a drunken stupor he could not latch his seat belt???
If this were the case, they could ticket the wolf for leaving the scene of the accident.

#69 ·
I'm far more worried about the apex human predators in the 'hood' than about wolves I've personally encountered up close and personal in the Alaskan bush. Are professorial medieval history credentials from California relevant in this discussion? Go back to your dusty parchments, if you prefer the past's ignorance, and superstition.

#72 ·
I'm far more worried about the apex human predators in the 'hood' than about wolves I've personally encountered up close and personal in the Alaskan bush. Are professorial medieval history credentials from California relevant in this discussion? Go back to your dusty parchments, if you prefer the past's ignorance, and superstition.
It's people like you who ignore where man has already gone, who are going to repeat the same stupidity over and over again. Your uneducated view only allows you to feel superior, and at the same time shows others your foolishness. You're the one who believes I'm spewing "anecdotal hysteria". If you don't believe the history of man's encounters with competitor species isn't relevant to how they'll deal with them today, your head's up your ass.
So you've run into wolves in the bush; whoopie! So have I, along with griz and brown bears, and one tiger. Let me know if you've had an elapid slither across your knees while you waited in ambush, or had to deal with saltwater crocs in the Rung Sat "special zone" in the Mekong in Vietnam. I'm sorry you worry about the two-legged fuckups you encounter. Me-I'm the one they need to worry about, not the other way round. And yes, I've run into them too. Couple of years ago up on Mt. Home Road, two chipmunks were working to rip off my truck; Last I saw of them, they were running toward highway 97, naked. Funny how persuasive the business end of a precision rifle can be...

#71 ·
Wolfs??? You should be scared of Bigfoot!

G
#74 ·
Wolves have killed wild game, livestock and domestic dogs within 5 miles of where I live. I typically spend ~ 10 weeks per year working and playing deep in the backcountry where I've seen and heard packs of wolves.

I've read the statistics. I know full well I'm much more likely to be killed by getting thrown from my horse than attacked by any wild animal. But then, I don't throw a saddle on wolves, grizzlies, or moose (the real human threat in the woods:) ).

I carry a pistol and I practice with it behind my house (I live rurally). I don't carry it because I have some sort of phobia of predators. I carry it for that very unlikely event. I carry it for the same reason I lock my truck doors when I'm in town, even though I know full well that if someone wants into my vehicle, they'll do it and the locked doors won't stop them. I carry it because dispatching a horse that's broken a leg and is in severe pain is much more humane with a handgun than trying to cut the throat of a 1200 lb paniced animal with a pocket knife or bashing it in the head with a rock. I carry it because I'm the cook and the one covered with bacon grease in bear country. I carry it for the same reason I carry fire insurance on my house -- I don't live with obsessive paranoid thoughts about my house burning down, I carry fire insurance for the unlikely event.

The real direct threat of wolves to humans isn't because they see humans as easy prey, it's because they don't see humans as a threat. The habituation of wolves is very similar to the grizzlies in Yellowstone NP - they are too used to humans and that poses the greatest threat of all. The behavior of grizzlies in Yellowstone NP is directly the opposite of the behavior I see from grizzlies in the backcountry.

We are all free to not buy insurance, not lock our doors, not get screened for colon cancer, and not carry a firearm. After all, statistically, those things are not likely going to be needed. And sure, you can easily declare -- this is different. But, I think it very unfair for those who choose to go through life unprotected in any or all of these ways, to deride those who choose to do so.

Trapper

#75 ·
I've lawfully concealed carry for many years, in the woods, and in town.......primarily due to potential human threat....it's 'insurance', plain and simple. While I have never known a single person who has been attacked by a wild animal (other than moose, if you count being charged or treed by one...or the grouse that once attacked my wife) I have known quite a few that have been attacked or killed by humans.

As for predator habituation to humans....it's not all that applicable to wolves. Wolves in the far north see humans all the time, humans seldom see them, because these highly intelligent animals know humans mean trouble. It's very similar to cougar- human interaction in the lower 48. They're there all the time, and stay hidden. There's been a handful of cougar attacks...but that doesn't mean they need to be eradicated...they're anomalies.

Wolves are slowly being removed from ESA protection...states are acquiring control rights, which means they aren't going to enjoy National Park-like protection status. Humans and wolves will adapt to each other's existence just fine.

This post has been deleted
#76 ·
Wolfs kill people very occasionally, Bears have killed people, Moose have killed people, Cougars……. OK Cougars scare me. If I was a rancher losing livestock to the wolves I’d be out there shooting them but why all the hate toward wolf’s from people that don’t own cattle?

No – I’m not a “west side Liberal”

Reactions: Krusty
#81 ·
Wolfs kill people very occasionally, Bears have killed people, Moose have killed people, Cougars……. OK Cougars scare me. If I was a rancher losing livestock to the wolves I'd be out there shooting them but why all the hate toward wolf's from people that don't own cattle?

No - I'm not a "west side Liberal"
I totally understand this.... wolves usually want you gone from their area...leave or climb a tree! ... Bears....play dead, Moose...well yeah if your drunk they kill you because you usually do something stupid. Cougars .... cant climb a tree, cant play dead, might as well be drunk ..your fucked!!! Play big and pray....you might live but damn the scars are going to be ugly!

#80 ·
I'm thinking somebody probably hasn't had their coffee yet (and ought to ease up a bit on the 'Soldier of Fortune' magazine purchases).
Sorry to disappoint, but I did two tours with the teams, 67-70, at Nha Be and then Can Nam. First tour was what they call "operators" now, and the second was as a sniper (now you probably see why I hunt with a longbow). A couple of tours under your belt tends to weed out those who are "kinder & gentler". By the close of my second tour I had a serious girlfriend, and learned to appreciate air conditioning and decent food. I've never seen the magazine you mention, but don't bother reading them for the most part anyway. It's a lot easier humping a few textbooks than a 100lb ruck in 100 percent humidity and 100 degrees!:eek:

#84 ·
I suggest that Alex MacDonald and Krusty retreat to a CONVERSATION and hammer out some of their differences. I bet once engaged in a CONVERSATION that they will find more similarities than differences and realize that their CONVERSATION will be more productive when they are not trying to have a big Johnson measuring contest in front of all of us. Come on gents, whaddayasayaboutthat? Try the CONVERSATION or keep airing it out in front of all of us?

G
#85 ·
I suggest that Alex MacDonald and Krusty retreat to a CONVERSATION and hammer out some of their differences. I bet once engaged in a CONVERSATION that they will find more similarities than differences and realize that their CONVERSATION will be more productive when they are not trying to have a big Johnson measuring contest in front of all of us. Come on gents, whaddayasayaboutthat? Try the CONVERSATION or keep airing it out in front of all of us?
Whose the big bad wolf now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.