Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Offshore Salmon

955 views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Mike 
#1 ·
Fished Sunday and Monday offshore in Canada. Sunday the fishing was tough with only a few quick moving pods of fish on the surface. There was tons of krill, birds, and whales though. Hooked one and had a boil on the popper but other than some bottomfish on the way back in it was a tough day.

Woke up early Monday and got out to the bank around 5:30 and found what I was looking for. Like the day before there was massive amounts of krill in the water, but unlike Sunday there were loads of coho salmon gorging on the krill all over the surface. I still like to fish a baitfish pattern to give them something different than the krill. Fishing floating and intermediate lines with a fast retrieve was the ticket. All the fish were coho. Maybe my gear fishing buddy is right that the pinks just seem to show up right around the 1st of July and not earlier.

Here's a little video I put together of the two days.

With our house selling way faster than we thought, I don't know if I'll be getting out there again with all the moving crap we're gonna be dealing with over the next few weeks. Happy to have experienced another great day of fly fishing out there. Hopefully this will be another reminder that you don't have to troll flies to catch salmon at Neah Bay, and that actual fly fishing techniques work as well or better.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice work Chris and thanks for getting me more pumped up for the sound opener on the 1st.
Hopefully you aren't moving to a place you can't get a salt fix as I've always enjoyed reports.
SF

Reactions: dcm
#3 ·
Just plain awesome report! I've always wanted to fish out there, but haven't yet had the opportunity. Your video is almost like being there... almost, but not quite.

It looks like you hook up most of those fish very near the boat? Are they tracking and following your fly almost all the way to the end? I know the Coho like to do this, but I've never been in a position to watch it happen repeatedly like this.

#8 ·
Chris...Now that I had a chance to watch your video.

Great job putting the video together and the drive into town has grown on me. I enjoy it now for what it is and sure was fun seeing it on your video.

Thanks for posting the band credits. Awesome track.

Can you please tell me who makes or sells the line stripping tubes you are using?

Thanks Chris and sorry to learn you are moving to Florida but hope to see new video from your trips in Florida!

Jeff

#11 ·
Thanks for the report Chris. Yep, last year was the first year that I landed more coho casting flies than bucktailing them out there. It took me a few seasons to get dialed into that and have confidence in sticking with the cast fly. I can't wait to get out there next weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.