Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Monster Rock Fish

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  seatSniffer 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Good for him. Hope he makes lots of dinners with it.

To those that don't want/like to kill things then don't fish. Fishing is enherently about killing and harvesting. To do otherwise is to deny its history and importance to human survival. Catch and release just turns fishing into another lame sport like golf.

#8 ·
If you don't want/like to kill things then don't fish. Fishing is enherently a killing sport. To do otherwise is to deny its history and importance to human survival. Catch and release just turns fishing into another lame sport like golf. Pointless like all sports.
So if I choose to release a fish I've caught, I'm denying the history and importance of fishing to human survival? That's a bit of a reach, isn't it?
And if fishing is inherently a killing sport, was it really a sport? Isn't that just survival? Do folks that have to fish and hunt to feed their families consider it a "sport"?
And if, for you, not killing turns fishing into a "lame sport like golf", I feel sorry for you. To not even be able to enjoy fishing unless you're killing is jut plain sad. Don't get me wrong, I support your right to legally kill your limits, I Just think it sucks that you feel so compelled to kill that you absolutely MUST do it in order to keep from being lame, or, god forbid, deny the importance of fishing to human survival. :rolleyes:

#9 ·
Does anyone know what the fecundity of a fish like that would be? I know with most groundfish like lingcod, rockfish, halibut, etc, fecundity increases with age/size for females. Sometimes with other freshwater fish they stop being as prolific reproductively after a certain point. Can anyone that knows about rockfish share some insight?

#10 ·
Good for him. Hope he makes lots of dinners with it.

To those that don't want/like to kill things then don't fish. Fishing is enherently about killing and harvesting. To do otherwise is to deny its history and importance to human survival. Catch and release just turns fishing into another lame sport like golf.
Nothing wrong with killing fish. Many of them are yummy :) However, a 200 year old rockfish probably tastes (as my dad would put it) "like eating a 30 year old cow."

I was speaking only of various "records."

#12 ·
I'm all for releasing fish, and I don't mind the keeping of "records" but killing something only for the sake of a "record" is lame beyond reason. I'm also a fan of not applying blanket reasoning to every situation. It's not a steelhead (or even a carp) that has a chance at survival if it was released. Hopefully the guy made good use of it and didn't let it go to waste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.