Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

DANGER-Hot Dog Buns???!!!

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  bitterroot 
#1 ·
I took a camping break for two days up towards Sequim Wednesday and Thursday with a friend. So, we are sitting by the campfire on the 2nd night. The 1st night we had steaks. The 2nd night we had some good hot dogs, but just a package of normal whitebread buns from a bakery I will not name publicly for now. Anyway, after having a couple of dogs, we decided to throw the remaining 2 on the hot coals to burn up. The first picture you see, were just put on the coals. The 2nd photo and 3rd photo are AFTER 30 MINUTES!!!! Talk about chemicals in your food???!!!! How the hell do you digest these things?!!! Next time you have a hotdog, buy FRESH baked bread!!!!! You wonder why people get cancer or can't digest their food and have trouble going to the restroom? Maybe this will answer your questions. The following is a list of ingredients in these cheap hotdog white buns:

Enriched unbleached wheat flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin and folic acid), water, high fructose corn syrup, yeast, vegetable oil (canola and/or soy). Contains 2% or less of each of the following: vital wheat gluten, salt, yeast nutrient (ammonium sulfate), dough conditioners (mono-diglycerides, sodium stearoyl lactylate, ascorbic acid, monocalcium phosphate, azodicarbonamide), calcium sulfate, enzymes, calcium propionate (mold inhibitor). Contains: wheat

So, have a nice hotdog feast in the future, but pick GOOD BUNS!!!!!!!!!! :D
Ash Charcoal Fire Cookware and bakeware Cooking
Ash Charcoal Asphalt Fire Cooking
Food Hand Ingredient Recipe Thumb

See less See more
#5 ·
Larry, as close as I can determine, great bread only has 5 ingredients and one of those is invisible. Excellent flour of course is a must as is pure water, sea salt and yeast. The 5th ingredient is time while you wait for the flavor to develop.
I can't imagine taking all those trace amounts of chemicals into my body on a daily basis but millions of people do. Perhaps that is a contributor to our high obesity rate and overall poor health in this country. The Mediterranean diet of lots of fresh fruits and veges, small amounts of lean meat, lots of red wine and real bread seems to keep people in better shape long term.

I hope you are alright man, and didn't suffer any long term ill effects! Eat food and not chemicals and you'll grow up straight and strong.

Ive

#8 ·
Larry, as close as I can determine, great bread only has 5 ingredients and one of those is invisible. Excellent flour of course is a must as is pure water, sea salt and yeast. The 5th ingredient is time while you wait for the flavor to develop.
I can't imagine taking all those trace amounts of chemicals into my body on a daily basis but millions of people do. Perhaps that is a contributor to our high obesity rate and overall poor health in this country. The Mediterranean diet of lots of fresh fruits and veges, small amounts of lean meat, lots of red wine and real bread seems to keep people in better shape long term.

I hope you are alright man, and didn't suffer any long term ill effects! Eat food and not chemicals and you'll grow up straight and strong.

Ive
Ive, I haven't baked my own bread yet as promised! But I will, if I can find time between chasing coho right now. I learned my lesson! You know how you get a hankerin' for a hotdog.... oh my...

#7 ·
Yes it DOES Jim! When I hiked with some friends years ago to a lake in the Olympics, I got napalm marshmallow (a small piece) on my forehead. It was from quickly bringing the marshmallow up to my face to "blow out" the fire on it. It is the leading joke from my friends to this day!

#9 ·
You know how you get a hankerin' for a hotdog.... oh my...
Oh hell Larry, just buy a bag of buns, toss the buns, wrap the "lips & eyelids ground & stuffed into a synthetic tube" in the plastic bag and eat it (be careful: toss the snap-clip that secures the bag . . . a guy could choke!). Use 10-30 weight motor oil for a condiment . . . on occasion I add a squirt of carb cleaner for extra zest . . . (in the meantime, I'll enjoy the Loosiana shrimp boil I'm about to start a few minutes; I just wish I was in Loosiana with fresh Gulf prawns & soft-shell crabs.).

#12 ·
Yikes, it's sad that our commonly available and inexpensive "foods" have evolved into chemical substitues. We accidentally did out grocery shopping last night, one day after food stamps came out, and the amount of this crap in people's carts is astonishingly sad. We are going to have grave problems in our society in the coming decades due to junk foods like this.

#13 ·
Yikes, it's sad that our commonly available and inexpensive "foods" have evolved into chemical substitues. We accidentally did out grocery shopping last night, one day after food stamps came out, and the amount of this crap in people's carts is astonishingly sad. We are going to have grave problems in our society in the coming decades due to junk foods like this.
Ground control to Major Tom...we already have those kinds of problems!

I could elaborate, but I wouldn't want anyone here to think that I'm a nut case.:D Just for a teaser, the truth is that I can only remember eating one hot dog in the last ten years or so, and I was really really hungry at the time. It was offered to me down at the beach by someone roasting them on a stick over an open fire. How could I resist?

Larry, if you're lucky,those hotdog buns will just move right on thru without being digested. I don't know if you'll be as lucky with the nitrate/nitrite/lips&sphyncter tubes, though. :p

#14 ·
The real pernicious aspect of this is that good simple food is more expensive than complex processed food. Fresh baked bread at a supermarket is more expensive than the industrial version. [Side note, fresh baked break molds (and dries out) very fast; I've tried to grow bread mold for a microbiology lab on industrial bread and it didn't produce anything after a week.] Fresh veggies are more expensive than processed cookies and goodies. Fish is more expensive than hamburger. Economic forces provide the wrong incentives to eat healthily. For an interesting take on this problem, read Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma; you'll especially like the last section where he forages for a meal - substitute salmon or trout for boar.

Steve

#15 ·
My favorite cookbook is:

Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon, with Mary G. Enig, Ph.D.
New Trends Publishing 1999, 2001

My brother's GF turned me on to it. Its by far the best cookbook combined with a good layman's education about nutritional science that Ive ever found.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.