Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

All the beads, you ever needs...

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  PT 
#1 ·
DIY heavy beads (glass). $6 total. Time to Czech them out on the local waters. Thanks Mr. Walmart.

Flower Purple Petal Magenta Rectangle

See less See more
#2 ·
David,

Niiicee!!! Pretty cool of you to share your discovery.… Quick question.. Have you fished glass beads much, and how durable are those beads when you make one of those errant back casts? I'd hate to think that it'll just explode and leave you fishing a half made fly, or a beadless bead rig...

Tight lines

John

#4 ·
David,

Niiicee!!! Pretty cool of you to share your discovery.… Quick question.. Have you fished glass beads much, and how durable are those beads when you make one of those errant back casts? I'd hate to think that it'll just explode and leave you fishing a half made fly, or a beadless bead rig...

Tight lines

John
I had no trouble with these at all. I actually fish a section of water under a bridge, and I cast (intentionally) into one of the concrete piers of the bridge. Bead (or flies, I don't fish beads all the time) goes "smack" on the bridge. This gets me into the trough along the pier. Probably threw off some paint, but I fished one big pink one the whole afternoon and had no issues. While the bead inside may be glass, I think it is coated with ceramic. Sinks like a stone.

I fish without an indicator, so I'm rolling in the rocks the whole time as well.

If I smack them around on my desk with Hevi and Trout beads, there does not seem to be any difference in impact durability. I'm sure they will break sooner or later and the plastic Trout beads are probably more durable from repeated impacts.

#3 ·
+1^ One bad backcast, game over. I see someone swapping alot of beads out in an outing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.