Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Why tube flies?

5K views 49 replies 17 participants last post by  devon flyfisher 
#1 ·
So....

I've been getting more comfortable with tying over the last year or so and have been filling up boxes with standard-tied flies.

Being retired and always looking for more challenges I'm considering tying some tube flies but my biggest question is "Why???"

My history: I've been mostly wading Puget Sound beaches for SRC and salmon. I sometimes take a frameless 'toon out on local lakes. I'd like to expand to more western Washington rivers and streams. Also, I'm seriously thinking of buying a good powered fishing boat for all types of water but mostly the salt.

I've been doing a lot of web research, both here and other places, and have learned that with a tube-fly, one can easily change a boinked hook and still keep the fly or vice versa, replace a chewed-up fly body without changing the hook.

So what other advantages do tube flies have? Why do you tie and fish them?

Any input/opinions are appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
I tied a number of tube flies and gave it up. The one and only advantage, if you want to call it that, is the ability to use different gap hooks. As I couldn't see any real significant advantage over tying a fly on a hook shank, I put away my tube fly tying tools and went back to tying flies on hooks.

If there is a significant advantage that I've missed, I'd really like to know what it is. As it is now, I have a lot of tubes and the tools required for tying tube flies and never use them.

#3 ·
If there is a significant advantage that I've missed, I'd really like to know what it is.
That's what I'm trying to figure out! ;)

As it is now, I have a lot of tubes and the tools required for tying tube flies and never use them.
Even though I'm not sure I want to start tying tubes, you can send your stuff to me!! :p

#6 ·
Yeah, I too have read that tube flies allow easier hook-sets.

Is that true or do I have to visit http://www.snopes.com/ to see if that's an urban legend? ;)

And if the hooking capability is true, how does that differ from tying a standard pattern with a stinger?

#7 ·
I've been doing a lot of web research, both here and other places, and and learned that with a tube-fly, one can easily change a boinked hook and still keep the fly or vice versa, replace a chewed-up fly body without changing the hook.

So what other advantages do tube flies have? Why do you tie and fish them?
Over the past 25 years I have fished mostly for sea-run cutthroat and salmon on Puget Sound. About 10 years ago I started tying almost all saltwater flies as tube patterns. An exception is the Ferguson Green and Silver pattern which is tied on a long shank hook. Over the last 8 years I have done numerous tube fly tying demonstrations. The advantages of tube fly patterns listed below is from a handout which I used.

ADVANTAGES OF TUBE FLY PATTERNS FOR FISH

1. Tube fly pattern can be slide up the leader and a Ketchum Release tool or similar device can be used to release a fish in the water without handling it.

2. Small Gamakutsu SC-15(saltwater series) can be used. I use #4 and 6 hooks. They are small diameter nickel plated hooks that are susceptible to corrode fairly rapidly if left in a fish's mouth. Plus these hooks will not cause as much harm to fish in comparison to a larger diameter stainless steel hook.

3. This is the MOST IMPORTANT ADVANTAGE! If a fish is hooked deep in it's mouth/gills the tube pattern can be slide up the leader. The leader can be sniped near the hook. It is better to leave a small diameter hook in a fish's mouth/gill rather than attempting to remove the hook with a release tool or forceps which have a high probability of causing excessive bleeding and demise of the fish.

4. If a standard stainless steel hook pattern is left in a fish's mouth/gills, the fish will have to deal with a large fly pattern which may have dumbell eyes or a cone head. It has to be more invasive in comparison to a small diameter SC-15 hook.

ADVANTAGES OF TUBE FLY PATTERNS FOR FLY FISHERS

1. A fly pattern will last much longer since after a fish is hooked the pattern will often slide up the leader away from the teeth of a fish.

2. Short strikes can be minimized. A length of tube can be used that will place the hook near the rear of a fly pattern.

3. If a hook is broken or becomes dull, it is easy to change out the hook.

4. It is harder for a fish to throw a pattern since short shank Gamakutsu SC-15 or similar hooks can be used. A fish does not have as much leverage to "throw" a fly pattern in comparison to long shank hooks. Non-tube fly patterns that use cone heads or dumbell eyes particularly clouser minnow are prone to have fish "throw" the fly pattern.

Roger

#9 ·
Over the past 25 years I have fished mostly for sea-run cutthroat and salmon on Puget Sound. About 10 years ago I started tying almost all saltwater flies as tube patterns. An exception is the Ferguson Green and Silver pattern which is tied on a long shank hook. Over the last 8 years I have done numerous tube fly tying demonstrations. The advantages of tube fly patterns listed below is from a handout which I used.

ADVANTAGES OF TUBE FLY PATTERNS FOR FISH

1. Tube fly pattern can be slide up the leader and a Ketchum Release tool or similar device can be used to release a fish in the water without handling it.

2. Small Gamakutsu SC-15(saltwater series) can be used. I use #4 and 6 hooks. They are small diameter nickel plated hooks that are susceptible to corrode fairly rapidly if left in a fish's mouth. Plus these hooks will not cause as much harm to fish in comparison to a larger diameter stainless steel hook.

3. This is the MOST IMPORTANT ADVANTAGE! If a fish is hooked deep in it's mouth/gills the tube pattern can be slide up the leader. The leader can be sniped near the hook. It is better to leave a small diameter hook in a fish's mouth/gill rather than attempting to remove the hook with a release tool or forceps which have a high probability of causing excessive bleeding and demise of the fish.

4. If a standard stainless steel hook pattern is left in a fish's mouth/gills, the fish will have to deal with a large fly pattern which may have dumbell eyes or a cone head. It has to be more invasive in comparison to a small diameter SC-15 hook.

ADVANTAGES OF TUBE FLY PATTERNS FOR FLY FISHERS

1. A fly pattern will last much longer since after a fish is hooked the pattern will often slide up the leader away from the teeth of a fish.

2. Short strikes can be minimized. A length of tube can be used that will place the hook near the rear of a fly pattern.

3. If a hook is broken or becomes dull, it is easy to change out the hook.

4. It is harder for a fish to throw a pattern since short shank Gamakutsu SC-15 or similar hooks can be used. A fish does not have as much leverage to "throw" a fly pattern in comparison to long shank hooks. Non-tube fly patterns that use cone heads or dumbell eyes particularly clouser minnow are prone to have fish "throw" the fly pattern.

Roger
Crap, that was just flat out awesome Roger, flat out awesome.

#11 ·
Yeah, I expected that Roger would chime in and I very much respect and appreciate his comments.

He seems to be a guru of PS saltwater tube flies and I thank him for his reply. :)

So to reiterate what you posted Roger, tube flies allow easier fish release, allow anglers to hook more fish and at the same time make fly-fishing a bit simpler due to the reduced instances of replacing either hooks or fly bodies.

Did I get that right?

So what about fishability? Do our local fish like 'em better than standard flies? I know you've fished them a lot! (You don't need to give out any secrets!)

Regardless, I'm probably gonna start tying 'em 'cuz I like doing something new! ;)

#14 ·
Yeah, I expected that Roger would chime in and I very much respect and appreciate his comments.

He seems to be a guru of PS saltwater tube flies and I thank him for his reply. :)

So to reiterate what you posted Roger, tube flies allow easier fish release, allow anglers to hook more fish and at the same time make fly-fishing a bit simpler due to the reduced instances of replacing either hooks or fly bodies.

Did I get that right?

So what about fishability? Do our local fish like 'em better than standard flies? I know you've fished them a lot! (You don't need to give out any secrets!)

Regardless, I'm probably gonna start tying 'em 'cuz I like doing something new! ;)
I have started to convert all my standard SRC patterns to tubes. Easy to tie, tweakable and I see no difference in the catch rate other than better hookups.
Also, you can store a bunch of flies in your pocket, rolled into your hat or jammed in a small box. No hooks to foul since you keep the hooks in a small box or in some foam to grab when needed.
Check out Les Johnsons book for tons of history and patterns. They go back a few years.
Enjoy!
Dave

Tube Flies: A Tying, Fishing & Historical Guide

#16 ·
Considering there is such a following for the critters... perhaps I should sell all my tube stuff. Chances are, I'll stay with tying patterns on hooks instead of tubes. Some tricks this old dog refuses to learn.

(plus, I primarily fish stillwaters for planted trout these days so the advantages of using a tube fly do not come into play)

#28 ·
Gene, I'm not sure about OR regs but tube 'flies' are not legal in WA Fly Fishing-Only waters as legally, they are not a fly.

But hey, if dirty ass tubers want to think that they are fly fishing when they tie a lure on their fly line, who am I to judge as I am a dirty ass nympher, LOL!
Now I am confused, how are they like lures? I've tied maybe a two dozen tubes for steelheading as the temps drop in late fall, but they are all patterns I used to tie on AJ's, or in the case of intruders, on shanks. Why are these same patterns lures if they are tied on a plastic tube? Not trying to be negative at all, just curious as I am new to tubes.

#18 ·
That's a good point. I'm not sure if they would be classified a fly or a lure in Oregon so they may not be legal in flyfishing only waters. Fact is, I seem to remember reading or hearing that tube flies are not legal to use in the North Umpqua for steelhead in the flyfishing only section.

That tears it! No tube flies for me!!!

:D

(I have yet to see Atlantic Salmon Fly tiers tie tube flies for framed display :) )

#24 ·
Tim, I started tying tube flies a few years ago for silvers and cutt's, I think for salmon they are great but don't like them for SRC's, I've had more misses on tube flies than standard flies on short shank hooks. Others may have had different experiences but I'll stick with short shank hooks like Gama CS15 for cutt's and don't feel they are any harder on the fish then tube flies, unlike long shank hooks...

I agree with Jack about cutt's and short strikes, just doesn't happen very often IMO so there's no reason to worry about having the hook at the rear of the fly, (unlike silvers) in fact I think it's a disadvantage... I've caught very small cutt's on fairly large flat wings and the tails are six times longer than of the hook, but they know right where to bite them and it's not the end of the tail !!!

I would agree with Roger as far as top water patterns go, makes perfect since to use tubes, due to there lighter weight,
and I have some in my box...

I think you should tie up a few for the fun of it and some for the silvers next fall...

Mark

#25 ·
Im split on this one I like them both but for different flies. Light patterns that I want to wake through the surface I usually like tubes. They Create more of a disturbance and the hook at the rear seems to help when stripping quickly over pods of fish.
If I dont get any surface action or see any movement I will tend to switch over to a flatwing and fish it slower which has much more movement than a tube pattern. When this is the case I rarely get short strikes even with long sand lance patterns, or at least I never feel them. Instead it usually gets slammed.
So my vote is tubes for topwater, and hooks at the head for slower deeper work.

#30 ·
The regs as to what is and what is not a fly in Oregon is a little vague. Most likely, if you ventured into the state with tube flies, I believe you can fish the flyfishing only fisheries without a problem.

Except......

if you want to fish the famous North Umpqua, from July 1 through Sept 30, you can not use a tube fly ... this is the purist period if time (tweed jackets are required) :D

Special Gear Restrictions and Closures:

July 1-Sept. 30 all angling restricted to use of single barbless unweighted artificial fly.

For the purposes of this rule, an unweighted artificial fly is defined as: "a conventional

hook that is dressed with natural or artificial materials, and to which no molded weight

(such as split shot, jig heads or dumbbell eyes), metal wire, metal beads, bead chain

eyes, or plastic body are affixed, and to which no added weight, spinning or attractor

device, or natural bait is attached."

#31 ·
Thanks for quoting those regs Freestone, but does anyone know if WDFW actively enforces this regulation in regards to using tubes on fly-fishing only waters? Has anyone out there actually been cited for this?

#33 ·
No problem, thanks for asking for clarification.

Tube flies do not meet the WDFW definition of a fly; they would be classified as a lure and therefore, are illegal in Fly fishing-only waters.

WDFW Definitions: (pgs 10-11 of Regs)

Fly: A lure on which thread, feathers, hackle, or yarn cover a minimum of half of the shank of the hook. Metallic colored tape, tinsel, mylar, or bead eyes may be used as an integral part of the design of the fly pattern.

Lure: A manufactured article, complete with hooks, constructed of feathers, hair, fiber, wood, metal, glass, cork, leather, rubber, or plastic, which does not use scent and/or flavoring to attract fish.
Ahhh, now I get it! According to this definition, a fly is a lure, but a tube fly is a lure that is not a fly.

#34 ·
Ahhh, now I get it! According to this definition, a fly is a lure, but a tube fly is a lure that is not a fly.
It would seem so (according to WDFW). Taking it a step further, I would guess that putting scent on a fly or a lure makes it bait??
I think I will have to curtail my practice of rubbing a herring on my flies:). Stinking up my waders, anyway.
A further thought: According to WDFW rules and regs, is a Miyawaki "Popper" a fly or a lure???? Leyland, are you reading the mail? What say you?
Jack

#36 ·
HI Pat, how is my favorite former "Professional Amateur" doing?

I don't know.
My thinking: Once the hook, upon which the materials are tied, is clipped, is it still a hook? Then, is the addition of the stinger hook considered (by WDFW) a continuation of the clipped shank and therefore it becomes "the hook"? If not, then it doesn't fit the criteria for a fly (according to WDFW).
Jack

#37 ·
Interesting question, Jack!

Maybe this can be passed along to the WDFW so they can further refine their definitions?

Also, in the definitions that Freestone listed, why is a fly called a "lure" and then a lure is called a "manufactured article"???

Even after working in the sportfishing industry my entire life our regulations often mystify me!

:scratches head:

#38 ·
Interesting question, Jack!

Maybe this can be passed along to the WDFW so they can further refine their definitions?

Also, why in the definitions that Freestone listed, why is a fly called a "lure" and then a lure is called a "manufactured article"???

Even after working in the sportfishing industry my entire life our regulations often mystify me!

:scratches head:

#39 ·
Yeah, I know....???

So a fly is a lure but a lure is not a fly unless "thread, feathers, hackle, or yarn cover a minimum of half of the shank of the hook. Metallic colored tape, tinsel, mylar, or bead eyes may be used as an integral part of the design of the fly pattern."

Yikes! I'm getting a headache!! :confused:

#40 ·
Flies, spoons, spinners, streamers, poppers, sliders, plugs, etc. etc. are all lures. A fly is a kind of lure for which WDFW creates a special category and then further defines it. Everything else falls under the category of lure.
I'm not too happy with their choice of the word "manufacture". Generally, it connotes "large scale". But, I understand their (WDFW) meaning. (I think).

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.