Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Storing Steelhead Flies Efficiently

2K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  jake-e-boy 
#1 ·
If you're like me you like to carry a million steelhead flies. I'm looking for the most efficient way to store them (using the least amount of space in my pack). I've traditionally used foam style fly boxes, but I'm wondering if compartment style would work better. I should add, I carry mostly eggs, nymphs, small buggers, etc.

What do you use? If it's a fly box--what's your favorite? If something else--what works best for you?

Post pics if you can.

Thanks

#5 ·
I highly recommend Allen Fly Fishing boxes. The clear two-sided, waterproof, boxes are available in several sizes. I use three sizes LG-M-SM. For Steelhead or Trout, I find these boxes hold more fly's than anything else I've used.
Allen Fly Fishing is a sponsor here too, so take a look at their website.

LB

#8 ·
For smaller stuff like buggers and eggs I really liked C&F boxes with the little compartments for small stuff and the slotted foam rows for bigger flies that allow you to push the hook down into place rather than having to make new punctures every time that eventually wear out and wont hold a fly. For bigger articulated and shank flies I like rigid plastic plano compartment boxes for the fancy intruders and fin sport fly wallets for articulated leeches. For the fin sports I just use the binded plastic ziplocs and leave the foam covers at home to keep the bulk down. I used to put all my flies in regular old ziplocs but spent too much time untangling. Keep the tech simple and sparse.

#9 ·
I don't have a million steelhead flies. I barely stay ahead of my immediate need for bait. However I do have lots of fly boxes, I think 4 Wheatleys for steelhead flies. I always used one of those when I wore a fishing vest. Now I only carry the smaller Wheatley with my summer flies in a pocket when I'm using those. For winter flies I have mostly gone to this wallet thingy with a half dozen heavy duty zip lock plastic bags. It's easy to stuff a dozen flies each in 2 or 3 of the bags, and it takes up very little room in my smallish Fish Pond chest pack.

Sg

#14 ·
I don't have a million steelhead flies. I barely stay ahead of my immediate need for bait. However I do have lots of fly boxes, I think 4 Wheatleys for steelhead flies. I always used one of those when I wore a fishing vest. Now I only carry the smaller Wheatley with my summer flies in a pocket when I'm using those. For winter flies I have mostly gone to this wallet thingy with a half dozen heavy duty zip lock plastic bags. It's easy to stuff a dozen flies each in 2 or 3 of the bags, and it takes up very little room in my smallish Fish Pond chest pack.

Sg
I always figured you for a Filson kinda guy Salmo.

#10 ·
I'd have to by a shit-ton of boxes for all my flies. For bulk storage I use sheets of closed cell poly foam cut to various sizes and stick the flies on them according to type and size. I then seal the sheets in ziploc bags. Then I pick and choose flies to load my boxes before fishing.

I'm a cheap bastard though and get the foam from work for free since it comes with the packaging for many of the parts we use. Not sure where to get the stuff retail, but I'm sure it can be found somewhere. This kind of foam is flexible and tough. Not brittle and crumbly like polystyrene - although that would probably work OK too.

#12 ·
Tie them onto a leader and put 6 to 12 in a pips box.. When you need one, pull it out and tie it on your thingamabobber.. You can store the fly, and the dropper fly with a 20 inch leader in the same box and retrieve either without messing up anything.. (hint, bead, and bead dropper)

#16 ·
I have several different models of fly boxes for storing flies. Most all of them the largest boxes that will fit in the large pockets of my old out dated rain jacket. Each box containing one particular style of fly. However, when it's time to fish, only a half dozen of whatever I determine to be appropriate at the time goes into a medium size C&F box with the micro slits, and stuffed inside my waders. The remainder stays in the car or the boat.

#19 ·
for "bulk/boat storage" i purchased some clear plano like plastic boxes with NO compartments. then kept some foam sheets from shipping/mail containers and cut them to fit the boxes. got some adhesive backed velcro in roll tape style and made strips to fit the boxes and foam. now i just fill the foam sheets with fly's and organize the sheets per usage. of course this was with the idea that i would use the boxes in the boat. but of course the boat sits in the yard in need of much repair and my boxes come and go out of the closet when i think there are not enough fly's in my vest for the day. yes oh So Smart.

#21 ·
I like a Morell fly boxes. Simple and light. You can add straps to hold the big flies down tight.

#22 ·
I keep tons of flies on me while i am fishing, but not a lot of variety, just quantity of a few patterns. I have one of those clear plano boxes, and I jam as many as I possible can into the little compartments so when I get hung up I don't even hesitate, just bust off and I can tie another one knowing that I have a dozen more just like it. I keep a few flies in light and dark, some large and small, and organize them by color, so when they get wet, and the dye in the material bleeds, my pink/peach/white/orange flies don't turn grey because they were next to the black/purple ones. I keep a huge pile of split shot in the same box, and I am constantly adding or taking off shot so I am at the right depth so I don't have to mess with changing tips that often. I also do all my flies on tubes, and keep about 100 hooks in various sizes in the box so I can switch out quickly if they get dulled. With that set up I am pretty dialed in.

#23 ·
I've gone to the Plano boxes because they are cheap. A few years ago I left my sling pack on the side of the road with most of my good boxes in it, CRS can be expensive!

Reactions: Jason Rolfe
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.