“Ah..Ha Moments” Searun Feeding Observations

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Dale Dennis, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Dale:

I usually use the pattern with a 10 mm pearl sequin angled off to one side in the front of tube. The picture of the reddish/brown pattern shows the sequin in front. Using a sequin gives the pattern crazy, wigglely, gyrations. Since I prefer to use top water patterns, I will use the articulated pile pattern after sea-run cutthroat stop striking a top water pattern. I have had excellent success using the pattern as the fish usually hit it pretty aggressively. I use a short twitch retrieve and a short pause particularly when retrieving up current. When I am casting at a 45 degree angle to tidal current, I will use a very short twitch retrieve but use a longer pause so the pattern will not get moving too quickly. Even though I am using a full sinking line when fishing this pattern, I try to throw in a couple of quick up current line mends just as the fly hits the water to try to slow the pattern down on the swing.

Roger

2. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Thanks for sharing Roger, the food source in the salt is vast and changes in feeding behavior can change several times in an outing not to mention location. This is just one more to consider in my coastal arsnel.

3. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Roger great tie !

here is the Omoe Brush a clam worm pattern from Denmark they use on sea run trout
    View attachment 46758 View attachment 46757

here's one I watched get eaten by a big Sea Run as it drifted in the current
    View attachment 46759 View attachment 46767 View attachment 46768 View attachment 46769
    and a little fella I picked up eating them
    I noticed alot of worms in the water and that they moved up and down in the water collum as they wriggled sideways had several takes on the surface

4. Preston

Preston Active Member

Dryflylarry,
    Interesting observation; over the years I've noticed, when fishing the Miyawaki Beach Popper, that many of the strikes (by both sea-run cutthroat and salmon) seem to come directly from the side. When a strike is missed and the fish hasn't been spooked it will often strike again from the other side. It sometimes happens several times in rapid succession; bam-bam-bam.

5. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

True. Over the years, the searun follows and strikes from the rear are usually "onesies" and the strikes from the sides are mostly positive. The "pounces," like a cat on a toy mouse, are the most entertaining.

Leland.

6. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    Few things in this world are more addicting than to fish Leland's popper when the cutts are chasing bait. Something is always happening, and I remember the big misses and "pounces" more than the hookups.

7. Jim Mcallister

Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

AS a kid growing up on eld inlet in Olympia,my freinds and I would use pile worms to catch sea perch.One day when fishing the kelp beds on the south end of squaxon island,my buddy yells I dont beleave it Icaught a trout and landed a nice 13 inch src.We used to catch SRC on spoons ,but never bait.So we wrote it off as a fluke and never tried it again. Now on this thread I find out other guys catch SRC on them and I find a pattern for them.You can bet next time I am on the water I will give one a try.