05-06 Beginner/Intermediate Anti-Shack Nasty Marathon Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Good idea Ron. I asked my wife.... She just said "Yuk!"

Wayne

2. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Uh, Wayne, your wife has to enjoy spinning deer hair for this tactic to work.

REE

3. Tom Grobelny

Tom Grobelny Member

Ron,

I got my, or I should say our streamers out yesterday. My daughter finally managed to get all of her flies finished. She does not mind working with a pattern until she gets it right, but she seems to get bored after about 4 good ones. It took a bit of coaching, but she managed to get through them all.

Since I was worried about her getting hers finished in time, I tied a different pattern, just in case. Since I already had the flies, I decided to send them in also so you guys will get a two-fer this time.

Tom G

4. Ron Eagle Elk

Tom,

Thanks for the heads up, Buddy. One of the other guys did a two-fer also, so the return envelopes will be a bit heavier this time around.

REE

5. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Well guys, I did good this time and had my flies finished up over a week ago.... but unfortunately I forgot the most important part, mailing them! I'll get those off tomorrow! I can't wait to see what everyone did! I love streamers!

6. Ron Eagle Elk

Desmond, I've done that once or twice myself. Put the envelope in the truck, it falls on the floor and works it's way under the seat. And me thinking I mailed them. Duh!

Tom Grobelney, got your very nice streamers today, but someone put in some veeeerrrrrryyyyyy sweeeet streamers with yours. Oh! The tag says they were tied by Alexa. Great job from both of you! (Thanks for the extras, they will have a place in my streamer box for sure.)

Time is drawing short, Ladies (that's for you Alexa) and Gents. Let's give my mailperson stoop shoulder from carrying that heavy bag of flies.

Just a reminder, February is a short month so let's start thinking about those dries and plan accordingly.

REE

7. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Did you say dries? Oh man, I thought it was emergers for some reason. Just ordered all I need for those online tonight. Oh well, won't go to waste. I don't know what I was thinking. Now I have to get thinking about my dry fly tie....

Wayne

8. Desmond Wiles

I started on my dries last night, or should I make that singular, as in dry? No I can't even make it singular becaue I never finished it!!! FrusTERating if you ask me!

So I'm tying an EHC, I tie in the wire, then wrap the dubbing forward, tie in the hackle, palmer that to the rear, everything is going nice and smooth.... up to the point where I go to tie off the hackle with the wire, and the damn wire breaks! So I unwind everything and try again. I assume it broke because it had a kink in it, so I make sure this time it's nice and straight. I repeat the above steps and it breaks a second time! So this time I think I just need to take it easy and not pull so tight. As they say the third time is the charm, but not for me, I break it off again!!! So I gave up and went to bed!

I began fly fishing on dries, and in fact my first fish was a 6" rainbow from the south fork of the snoqualmie on an EHC. I haven't really tied many dries, mainly because of the cost to buy some decent quality necks or saddles. But after getting some of Denny's hackle I have been pumped to tie some dries. The biggest and most common mistake I'd make (which is probably the same as most beginners) when first starting out almost 2 years ago was pulling the thread or hackle too tight. I guess I figured when tying this EHC I thought I could pull tight on the wire because heck, afterall it is wire, why should that break? Well, I guess that's why they call it "fine" wire, DUH!!!

Anyways, thanks for letting me get that off my chest! I'll get it right tonight!!

Des

9. Ron Eagle Elk

Jeez Wayne, Ya had me in a panic for a minute there. I thought I'd made an error, but nope. Dries in February, Terrestrials in March and the the Emerger/Cripple. Whew, with my case of CRS I panic easily.

REE

10. Tom Grobelny

Tom Grobelny Member

Desmond,

It might be an obvious question, but are you bending the wire repeatably? Some wire is notorious for work hardening, becoming brittle and breaking. I would try one of two approaches.

First, I would try to tie the wire in laying the straightened wire straight back from the hook (pointing away from the eye of the hook with no or little bend in the wire) I would try to not disturb the wire from this position until I was finished with the dubbing and hackle and was ready to counter wrap the hackle. After you start wrapping the wire, try not to unwrap and re-wrap it as you will start to work harden the wire. This should minimize any work hardening in the wire.

If that does not work, I would tie the wire in the other direction, running toward the eye. You can trim the tag end of the wire by simply bending it back and forth where it is tied in for a closely trimmed wire. You will have to pull the wire back out of the way to apply the dubbing and hackle, but you will not have to make the 180 degree bend in the wire to start counter wrapping the hackle.

I have actually had a lot of trouble with non-lead weighting wire breaking when I tried to do the 180 degree bend thing and the second approach worked better all the way around for the non-lead wire. For your rib, the first method will probably look the best, but you can probably get the second way to look just as good with some care.

Tom G

11. Ron Eagle Elk

And another set of streamers were in the mailbox this afternoon. These finely tied flies were from Theron DePaulo. Judging from the quality of flies I'm seeing, you guys (and young lady) are well beyond the beginner/intermediate range. Pretty soon I'm going to be able to say "I knew them when".

REE

12. Desmond Wiles

Thanks for the tip Tom, but after giving it a shot, I learned that I was just pulling too tight.

Hey Ron, that stuff from Denny is pretty good. The stems are amazingly strong for how thin they are. Now if only the wire was that strong! Sometimes my Goliath hands just don't know how to soften up!

Des

13. Ron Eagle Elk

Hey Desmond,

Your streamers arrived today. Very nice tie. You guys are getting way too good.

REE

14. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

"Beginner/Intermediate"

Yeah, well wait to you see my flies. I'm going a long way to reversing that trend. :rofl:

I put them in the mail just now; and an hour later remembered I never put head cement on half the crayfish arms.

Well, rumor has it that trout like crayfish with no claws better than crayfish with claws. :ray1:

I too was sidetracked onto emergers; I've got a whole pile near being done, but need to do a ton because I've got a full two dozen committed to other folks.

But I might tie some dries first anyway, just as a break.

Split-mallard-wing cahill; any preferences on sizes? Left to my own devices I'll do a 12 or 14 XL that is known to work for march browns.

Rolland

15. Ron Eagle Elk

Hey Lady and Gents,

Got an e-mail from Jeff Phillips this morning. Because of pressure from his graduate classes and travel he has to bow out of the swap. He sends his apologies to all participants.

Shad Kings flies arrived in yesterdays mail, as did Dylan DePaulo's. Despite Shad King's protests about how his flies looked, they looked like little crawdads to me. Dylan's tried and true fly with a twist looks good too.

I stand by my statement that you guys are getting too good.

REE