Swap 05-06 Beginner/Intermediate Anti-Shack Nasty Marathon Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Ed D

Ed D Member

2. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

tricho,

Don't ya just hate it when procrastination costs ya extra. I would never do that...well except fer when...

We still have three tiers out (not including Tricho). Hatenot2fish, Bill Douglas and Matt Grunwald.

Later,

REE

3. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

Hi all,
    There's been a big management shakeup and structure change at work. We've all been in "chase our tail" mode all month trying to figure out how it will all shake out, who will do what, and who better start job hunting. I had totally forgotten about this swap until just now when the wife asked me to sign some checks for the end of the month bills.

I will have to sit this month out. I'm sorry for the short notice.

Whatever happened to my nice stable job in a nice stable industry? Times sure have changed. :eek:

-Bill

4. Ron Eagle Elk

First, Bill, I understand that life sometimes gets in the way. You sitting out a month is fine by me.

I did set aside a set of flies for Bill and Matt Grunwald. Matt didn't submit any flies this month and I haven't heard from him. I've had Matt in several swaps before and this is NOT like Matt. He's a very responsible guy, so I'm saving a set for him.

Oh Yeah! The pics are up and the flies are in the mail. You guys and gal did an amazing job on these streamers (Yes, Shad King, even you).

You'll notice a few extra flies in the boxes. We did have a couple folks bow out of the swap, so I divided their flies among you. I did my best to make sure you didn't get extras of your own flies.

Tight Lines and Best Fishes,

REE

5. Anyfish

Anyfish Fishing with the kids

I checked the mail a few minutes ago and found a package. GREAT JOB one and all. Now if the rain would stop and the water drop, I maybe able to give some of them try.

6. Ron Eagle Elk

Anyfish,

I feel your pain, Buddy. I'm having a serious case of fishing withdrawls. Headaches, bad case of nerves, can't sleep, etc.

Looks like El Nina is gonna give us a thrashing this winter.

REE

7. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Yeah, but crawdads are ugly! :D

The flies came in today's mail. I'm really impressed with the quality across the board (and more than a little happy I didn't do a Gierach Special myself!)

Starting on the next batch right now.

Rolland

8. Dylan D

Dylan D Member

I received my package this afternoon -- everyone did a really great job.

Honestly, I think this is the highest quality batch (save mine :beathead: ) in the two years I've been a part. Great job everyone!!iagree

9. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Maybe you guys are getting wet, but we are getting blown away. We have had so much wind over here... I was thinking of going out tomorrow for awhile but we have gusts of 50 mph predicted. bawling:

I haven't got my flies yet, but they look awful nice in the gallery. I should get them tomorrow.

By the way, I finished my dries tonight. I'm thinking about tying a second fly since I'm done so soon, but if I do, it will be an EHC. I hate tying dry fly hackle and then trying to make a neat head.

Wayne

10. Ron Eagle Elk

Dang, Guys. Now Wayne is trying to be an overachiever. Second flies are always welcome as a special surprise when you get your flies back, but not necessary.

We're getting some severe winds today, as well as last night. The yard is full of tree limbs and trash from the neighbors yard.

Gonna be a long winter.

REE

11. Griswald

Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Dang it!

Well, all I can offer is a sincere thanks and will inlcude my January flies with the Feb dries.

I have no excuse, except I completely forgot until I got my flies in the mail.

I apologize. REE thanks for sending mine anyway and thanks for the Thread and materials for Max, he was stoked!

We are going to tie tomorrow now that we have power. (Was out for over 18 hours)

Hope you all are well.

Best,
    Griswald

12. Ron Eagle Elk

Griswald,

I knew it wasn't like you to drop off the face of the earth. You've been in too many of my swaps. Lookin forward to seeing your February flies with the January bonus.

We lost power for about 6 hours, just as VEE was getting ready to make dinner. Had to drive two towns away just to find a place open to eat and get a couple lattes.

REE

13. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Great flies everyone!

14. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

On to them beetles ...

Just finished putting on the last toe tag. I have to go get a new shipping box because mine's out on another swap.

It's funny ... my expectations for my fly quality has risen as consistently fast, if not faster, than my ability to tie flies. I'm not as happy with this batch as I was with a batch I tied last year for a MB swap; but they're probably better ties.

And oh yeah, a scud's a terrestrial, right? If I call it a sow bug? :cool:

I might do a water boatman, though. What the heck is the swap's definition of a terrestrial anyway?

http://www.flyfishingnc.com/a/fly_terrestrial.php includes damselflies, scuds, and hexes, which seems like a dang liberal definition.

Please advise ... I'd rather tie something I need rather than have another 15 ants added to my fly box. Not that ants don't catch fish. :D

Rolland

15. Ron Eagle Elk

Rolland,

Looking forward to your dries.

Terrestrial = Any bug that doesn't live in the water. Hoppers, bees, wasps, beetles, spiders, ants, inchworms, etc. All of which catch fish.

Last fall on the Selway there was a great Caddis hatch in progress but the trout weren't hitting them. They were keyed into small brown and black ants that had blown into the water. Luckily we had some ants in our boxes and had a field day. You never know what those pea brained fish will be eating.

REE