Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

The Open

NFR 
4K views 114 replies 35 participants last post by  2nab8tr 
#1 ·
Is the city of Tacoma to cheap to water their Golf Course. I'm watching the U.S. Open and they look like they are on the edge of a desert. Even the "greens" are brown. Half of the Fairways are green to brown.

You would think that something the the Pacific Northwest would be something to show the entire nation how well things are doing here. Is Washington State having a drought??

#5 · (Edited)
By design, Chambers Bay is a (Scottish style) Links course. These courses are seaside, typically built on sand dunes, and consequently fairly dry. Versus the verdant, lush courses we often see on TV. Beyond that, the USGA is tweaking the course, making it even drier and therefore more difficult, to be a real test.
I can't wait to give it a go. Maybe with stalwarts here? Or my usual suspects.

#9 ·
Old Man, you might want to change the thread title to US Open. The Open is played across the pond.

Really cool seeing this course on tv. I didn't realize the elevation change was so great. So many different angles.

Tiger is completely lost. Really sad to watch one of the greatest of all time struggle and have his game in this state.

#12 ·
Like Salmo said, it's the nature of the fescue grass. They are watering the course but if they put enough on it to keep it green it would slow down the course and take all the terrain challenges out of play. The greens roll true and smooth even though they look brown.

I played it a few years ago and it is a beast. I'm no long hitter but on almost every hole it was driver, 3 wood.

#26 ·
I just got home. It was a great day. I was lucky enough to have a friend in the mix. Free parking a few blocks from the course. Free food and beer all day. A/C event room. It was so much better than i thought it was going to be. I almost didn't go, expecting a general ticket and normal conditions. I did thank the site owner/vendor throughout the day for his hospitality and putting on a great spread. I also thanked my friend for making me go with him. He gets a free pass on my boat all Summer long.

#30 ·
I don't know much about Golf and I never ever played the game. I just used to like to watch Tiger play. He used to hit the ball very well. Ever since that breakup with his wife he's gone down hill. The last 5 or 6 years he's really sucked. He gets a hitting coach but the coaches don't play the game or he's just not listening to them. It's just a sorry thing to watch the best not play like the best.

#32 ·
Yes I agree golf is better when tiger is competitive, hard to watch now, one of the first pro tournaments he played in I showed him where his ball was in the rough at the western open here in Chicago burbs. Seem him several times since then.

Now he is +11, tied for 151st place. Think he is now on hole 1. This could get really ugly for him.

Must be the breakup with Lindsey Vonn;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 ·
24 golfers under par right now , way too many, should be 5 or less. What's the weather forecast out there for the weekend?
Course does not look to be fan viewing friendly.

Beautiful tough course though

I was hitting good at the range this morning, wonder if I could find any fairways off the tee?

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#36 ·
I was down there on Wednesday for the last practice round! TV just doesn't do this golf course justice, there is so much elevation, it looks like it could be on the moon in places, and just walking around it tired me and my mother out... I thought I might have to get the paramedics to help get her home... I can't imagine playing a round there, since you have to walk it, no carts allowed! Yet another reason to get in better shape!

I'm watching it now, and it looks amazing, imho. As far as Tiger, he will never be as good as he was years ago, pre-divorce, but he will come back and challenge in a major (probably win a few more) and win tournaments. The field has brought there level of play up to his level and a few guys beyond, but I wouldn't count him out on any major tournament for the next 10 years.. he's just too good!

My only real complaint on the coverage, is the damn announcers keep calling it "THE Puget Sound"... I tend to ignore the chatter, except from the hot chick who is working for FOX Sports. Great to see this tournament in our neck of the woods!

Reactions: FinLuver
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.