Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

New AR-15 build

NFR 
1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Ron Eagle Elk 
#1 ·
I spotted an AR 15 lower for sale that was a 173d Airborne Brigade (Sep) commemorative. Since I spent a good deal of time with the "Herd" in Vietnam, more specifically, the 503 Parachute Infantry Regiment I decided to get the lower and build a new gun.

The lower receiver is the only part of an AR that needs to go through an FFL for a background check. Ordered all the parts from various folks on the internet and everything but the lower arrived by UPS. Had an old scope laying around (Nikon 4-16X50) to add to the finished product.

First thought was to build it as an M16A1, but I hated that rifle while I was humping one through the jungles and rice paddies of Vietnam so I built a gun I'd like to shoot. Here it is.

Here's the whole reason I built the gun.

It shoots very well. Only about 100 rounds down the new tube. Just getting broken in.

See less See more
#6 ·
Nice rifle!

I just got a DPMS SASS .308 Win. Put a Millet 4-16X56 glass on it. Tack driving powerhouse.

I've had a DPMS Gen II Recon in .308 for a while. It's a fine shooting rifle as well. Topped it with a Vortex Viper 6.5 to 20 X 50.

Here's a target from the DPMS. 300 yards, kneeling supported.

100 yard zero target, 5 rounds.

Reactions: spadebit
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.