Just wanna show someone my hooks

Jeremy Husby

Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?
I have made somthing that maybe a few people would like to see.
I have started making my own hooks and I would like to know if anyone else has ever tried doing this, If so I would like to ask a few question. Otherwise I have perfected a good temper and some interesting designs.

If you interested in learning how to do this, I would love to show you, or if someone has a design that would like to see made, draw it, send it to me and I will make it for you.

Jeremy

Attachments

pwoens

cool!! I never thought about this aspect of tying. Would be cool to make your fly from the medal up. I dont have the time or energy but excellent idea/hobby. :thumb:

what kind of setup do you have? I would be really interested in this. Realy stellar work on a fe of those salmon hooks! :thumb:

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
theDoubleHauler said:
If you interested in learning how to do this, I would love to show you, or if someone has a design that would like to see made, draw it, send it to me and I will make it for you.

Jeremy
I would love to learn how to do this.
After looking through your web site, the furled leaders also caught my attention. Lets get in touch via PM or email.

TC

N

numbbutt

hey Doublehauler,

Killer idea! I like the true hand crafted look of them. One question though......Do they hold fish?

Jeremy Husby

Each hook I make I test to 20lbs., I have broke abot six now on my testing jig (and many more while creating them), because of slight errors I made in the coverage of the temper. If you look at my sight I test every hook I use to fish, that is one reason I started making my own. I do believe Mustad are the best hook for your money and mine won't hold up to them, everything else I have exceeded in quality of true strength. I have caught a Chum on one so far but no Steelhead.

To answer what setup I use, a MAAP touch ($50 @ the hardware), one pair of needle nose pliers and one pair of jewler piler (wal-mart $7), a tin can of water to quench, that is it. I use music wire for the hooks, it has a medium carbon content and tempers to a great spring temper.

(edit) I also want to add that I use a Gun Bluing after the forging to prevent rust and then they cure for a couple days in oil, that is why they are black. Gives them a great anit-rust treatment.

pretty cool. obviously you are you bending some of these "freeform" (by hand) but do you use a form (jig) to maintain consistency with some of the other profiles?

Jeremy Husby

I made a couple jigs for two designs that I tie spade flies on, but I have found I can replacate pretty well using just my hands. So I pretty much use the jig for the really tight bends and jewlery pilers and my thumb for everything else. Since I don't anneal the wire before hand I have found that I have a extra step when using jigs, where I can skip that step and make more faster and the temper turns out better. When I am making them I do about 5' of wire in <1hr. which is < 20 hooks a hour.