Carpin'

Buzzy

I tested a local lake for carp about two weeks ago. The wind had been howling the night before and bottom sediment was suspended, seeing carp was tough. I got skunked. A buddy of mine was out this past week (while I was enjoying drifting a big Montana river) looking for carp. He said he had refusal after refusal. I think tomorrow, if they aren't all in spawn mode, I will try some small stuff. Carp carrot, San Juan Worm...... I want a bent rod! Engee had been using our usual carp candy and crayfish patterns...

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Good luck, Pat. I'm beginning wonder if they're even going to show in appreciable numbers on my close-to-home flat; I've yet to see many in my fav haunts - I'm wondering if things didn't silt-in causing carp to seek other areas. If the wind isn't bad I may try it for a couple hours in the morning though.

Jay Burman

Fly Fisher, Bon Vivant, Layabout.
I fished for Carp last Friday. I saw plenty but no takers. I can'tell tell when they take my fly. I'm not sure if they're refusing
or if I'm missing the take.

Buzzy

I fished for Carp last Friday. I saw plenty but no takers. I can'tell tell when they take my fly. I'm not sure if they're refusing
or if I'm missing the take.
I know what you mean - I'm pretty sure last time out it was refusals but visibility was awful. I know that damn carp candy was right in front of a couple fishes mouth....

Sometimes I'm tempted to try indicator fishing (again). I was fishing a slough on the Columbia one time, major muddy. Couldn't see anything, most of the fish were playing spawn mode. I tied on a wooly worm and hung it under an indicator. It was blind casting but I managed to fair hook a couple. I just never seem to get around to trying it.

JS

I know what you mean - I'm pretty sure last time out it was refusals but visibility was awful. I know that damn carp candy was right in front of a couple fishes mouth....

Sometimes I'm tempted to try indicator fishing (again). I was fishing a slough on the Columbia one time, major muddy. Couldn't see anything, most of the fish were playing spawn mode. I tied on a wooly worm and hung it under an indicator. It was blind casting but I managed to fair hook a couple. I just never seem to get around to trying it.
I have never had much luck indicator fishing for carp, but I am going to do a little write up on some things that I have learned from a variety of sources on seeing the take, as well as the presentation needed to see the take.

Long and short of it: you need to position the fly on one side or the other of the fishes head (with a lead to match the fishes moving speed), and watch the fishes reaction.

My ideal scenario is a slow mudder digging shallow, ie fishes body slighty tilted down or completely parallel with the river bottom, cast lands two feet ahead of the fish and directly in front, but as the fly drops through the water column, it moves back to my side of the fish due to tension. At this point the fly and fish are on a sort of collision course, however, the fly is 1-6" to the right of the fish. If the fish sees the fly and moves its head toward the fly, hold on until you see lips flair, or you see the fishes body tilt in any noticeable fashion. At this point I am making an excruciatingly slow strip set, unless I know for certain the fish ate, then I give a quick strip set.

Muddy water sucks, but I have had really good days in muddy water fishing extremely close.

Better days are coming, gents, and don't give up when they start to spawn....still loads of opportunity.

Last edited:

Jay Burman

Next time I go Carping I may cheat and use a bare hook with a balled up piece of Wonder Bread dough. It was easy to catch them as a kid using Wonder Bread dough balls. If it works, I'll tie up a dough ball pattern. I've had some success with my Dog Biscuit pattern. The Dog Biscuit is easy to see and the carp like it. When the mood suits them that is.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
First I have to figure out where the carp disappeared to . . . my 2 favorite flats are largely devoid of fish. I'm wondering if the commercial netters struck again in March or April.

Jay Burman

Jim, may I ask what body of water? I usually fish Banks Lake or the Columbia. I've had modest success at Banks Lake but the Columbia, not so much. It seems each time I go to Banks it's either , windy, muddy or the water is too high, and when conditions are perfect, the carp aren't interested.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Columbia in & around the Tri Cities. Same thing occurred a couple years ago, but I saw the seiners that time. Between that & the uptick of bowfishing tourneys around here, my close to home spots aren't the nirvana they once were. I may have to scout north next time. My flat to the south is overgrown with weeds.

First I have to figure out where the carp disappeared to . . . my 2 favorite flats are largely devoid of fish. I'm wondering if the commercial netters struck again in March or April.
I've had this happen a few times.

No netting going on, just don't know where they go sometimes.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
It's been strange weather down here, too - very unsettled. It was hot early, then cooled down & the same pattern continues. I guess all of the cold fronts could be a factor too.

It's been strange weather down here, too - very unsettled. It was hot early, then cooled down & the same pattern continues. I guess all of the cold fronts could be a factor too.
I'm no biologist, but carp seem to be affected by weather and water temps, far more than any other fresh water fish. At least the ones I've fished for.

Even bass don't seem to disappear like carp. They (bass) may not be "on the take" as easy during weather changes, but carp just plain 'ol vanish!

:confused:

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
The smallmouth vanished this morning. Buddy went out to a spot where he has been slaying them & never had a look. Lots of fry in the water too. I picked a good day to stay home, tie flies & slow-cook ribs for sure.