Smally Cooperation

Deep Swing

Today on the new streamer, sort of a juvenile smallie tie. It worked so will have to reproduce it. Lost several other fish. Was hoping for a cloudy day which I got for 3 hours. When the sun came out they turned off. Did not see another person. One of those good days on the water. River has been high and not fishable for the last 5 weeks. Big river have to cover a lot of water to find them.

DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deep Swing

Were holding in slack water off the main current. Fly was stripped and they took it aggressively as usual. Wish the sun had not come out. ;)

DS

Deep Swing

Hit the river again today with this same streamer(see above). Had to cover a lot of water to get this guy to hammer it but he did. Great fight in the current probably 2,5 lbs but he felt twice that weight. Quick release and off he went. Love smallies !!

DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAT

Dumbfounded
The rock ledges and the size of the river looks very similar to the Umpqua. Usually, when we found rock ledges that created drop-offs below surface, we'd find the smallmouth hanging around those drop-offs.

What fly line are you guys using for Smallies? I have been using my regular 7wt floater, but the running line seems to coil and tangle up...very frustrating! I've been fishing Lake Tapps and the water is not tropical temp, but the bow floor of my boat gets pretty warm.

Deep Swing

Yes ledge drop offs are good places like the one in the picture which the main current runs by. But it has not produced anything for me this year yet.

I use 8 weight forward floating lines mostly since I am usually throwing bigger streamers or poppers later in year.

DS