spey patterns

Big K1

Large Member
Welcome Dave and Ronn!

Scott you just got some great offers to show you some stuff.
I suggest you take these guys up on the offer. Wow!

Scott
In addition to Ron's comments on getting top quality mallard I would also suggest you focus on tying the mallard in at the grey root area, it is softer and less likely to split - you will also need to match the feather to the hook size wise.
speydoc

Zen Piscator

Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.
Ron,
Nice to see you in here. For those of you that don't know him, he is a leading athority on classic atlantic salmon flies, and one of the best dresser i have seen.

Peace,
Andy

Dave McNeese

One of the OLD guys
Davy and Kevin,
Thanks for the warm welcome! My offer of help applies to all of you- if there is anything I might know that is of use just let me know.
I am new to the cyber world (just getting TO the computer amongst the kids is a challenge!) and am just starting to figure out how to do all of this. The communication is so different than sitting around my fly shop talking to people for hours. I miss that and hope to work up some good conversations here....

Davy, call me when you get to the area 503-472-4090. After 6pm is best.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Good to see you here! Guess I'm one of the "old guys" too! Ha Ha Ha If I can learn the computer, anyone can!

Hope to see some of your fantastic flies here too.

Happy Trails!
Ronn

Big K1

Large Member
Dave,

This is what is so cool about the internet. Being able to chat with you old guys, haha I mean legends in NW flyfishing is great.
I will take you up on your offer in the future.

Welcome Speydoc. This guy ties some bad ass tubes!

:hmmm: Hello Dave and Ronn: I wondered where you guys were roosting. I too, am new to this forum and it seems to have a lot of folks interested in the really different aspects of salmon fly tying. this is great!
I have a question for Dave McNeese: Do you have any information on your Grey Heron Spey Hooks? Ive heard rumors, but.......
I hope Ill be able to contribute something useful in the future. Until then, keep up the Great Work here!
:eek:

Dave McNeese

One of the OLD guys
Hey Dave,

Nice to hear from you again, Thanks for asking about my hooks, I'm in a "WAIT" mode. The manufacturer is right now making a small batch for me to approve, then we can go ahead. It has been over a year since I gave them my hook design, so any minute now I hope!
Yeah, I've been "roosting" out here in the valley, hatching chicks of my own. Our ninth is due next June. What have you been up to?

Happy New Year! :beer2:
Dave McNeese

;) Well Dave, I remember Bill Chinn saying that if there was one hook hed like to use, it would be your new hook. I sure miss the old shop. The energy, the antique flies and books etc, and the whole ambiance thing. As for me, I now live in Cornelius and have been working on my speys and Dees. Found an interesting and I think, effective use for marabou as a sub for Toucan on patterns like Jock Scott. Well, Dave, keep us posted here and I love to see your still in the game and helping others hone their skills! Best Regards Always.