11ft Drift Boat?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Warren Messer, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Jim Byler

Jim Byler Pram Guy

Depending on where you fish, a small like pram can be an advantage. I built a small pram (9' 6' x 52' with three planks to the side and flat bottomed) when I was living in Missoula, Montana, and floated quite a few local rivers there without difficulty. But I was careful about what sections that I floated and when. The big advantage was that I could roll it from the truck to the river on transome mounted wheels, and get on the river for an hour or two by myself.

I built another flyfishing pram a few years ago, after moving to North Idaho. It is primarily a lake boat, for one or two fishers, that can also be used in rivers. It is my own design, 9' 7" x 51" with one plank sides and a V bottom. It has a very shallow v in the middle of the boat to give it good initial stability for standing (calm water only), but deeper at each for punching through a chop in lakes. I put narrow wheels on the transome so that the boat will track in lakes with wheels down, and spin in rivers with wheels up. It rows very well for a short boat and rides in the pickup bed.

I don't have plans, but I do have photos if anyone is interested. I'm also thinking of selling this one, as I have built a number of other boats and am trying to clear a bit more space in the garadge.

2. Warren Messer

Warren Messer Member

Home Page:
    I've finally gotten around to taking some photos of my SolDuk driftboat model. The photos should explane what I mean about having a "flat nose". I did this so I could get away with only using 3 sheets of 9mm plywood. A longer hull would have forced me into using a lot more wood. The last photo shows the interior plan I will use for this hull. There will be several hatchs, bow and stern grab handles, anchor brackets, and two moveable/removeable seat platforms that will span the two side storage/floatation tanks.

I will be holding off building this hull for awhile, and will next be building the 10ft version of my Nuthatch pram. You can see photos of the 8ft version at www.geocities.com/redbarnboats/nuthatch and photos of my other "10ft" flyfishing pram, the FlyCasters bigger brother, at www.geocities.com/redbarnboats/hudsonsprings

Let me know what you think.
    Warren

Sorry, I forgot to add the interior photo. Will do it tomorrow.

3. Warren Messer

Warren Messer Member

Home Page:
  4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Very clean lines, Warren. Sweet looking design. Sounds like you've designed and built alot of boats.
    My Don Hill is way different, being very wide in the bow, much wider than the stern. When rowing down a river, of course, it looks like a pram pointed upstream going backwards downstream. When I use mine in a lake, the stern becomes the bow and it looks more like a pram. Yeh, mine looks like a chubby bass-ackward pram with rocker.
    I really like the idea of a smaller, narrower boat that will fit into the back of a smaller pickup, though. I suppose you would begin to lose stability going too narrow, but I think 42" wide at the bottom is still wide enough.

5. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

I ran into a guy last weekend at the Sandpoint ID Woodenboat show, who had a boat not unlike the one pictured, that fit into the back of a pickup, but alas I can't remember the size of the pickup ... might have been full size, might have been 3/4, it definitely wasn't a Ford Ranger-sized pickup. On the other hand, it wasn't a tight squeeze. :)

The feller said the boat was 9' long, and I don't think it was a DH mini-drifter, but I wouldn't recognize one of those if I rowed into it. :rofl:

It was a pretty boat, and for sale. I gave the guy a pointer to WFF, maybe a post will show up about it.

Rolland

6. Warren Messer

Warren Messer Member

Home Page:
    The 10ft Hudson Springs Pram I designed fits in the back of the owners Dodge Dakota. I suggested that he build a "box" out of 2x6's to fit between the wheel wells. The boat now rides on the carpet he added to the tops of the 2x6's, and the bottom now sets above the trucks wheel wells. The 2x6 frame sticks out the back of the bed a bit, and he beveled the back ends of the long boards to help get the boat on the truck. He justs sets the bow on the frame and goes to the stern, lifts the hull and shoves it forward. The only problem he has is that the beam of the boat with the rails added, drag on the tube framed "ladder carrier" he has mounted to the top of the truck's bed. It fits, but rubs off the varnish at the widest spot.

Its a very stable hull, but I can't remember as I sit here what the bottom width is. Will check the plans and post the answer here. The beams and bottom widths of the HSP and the SolDuk drifter should be close. I will also carry a measureing tape around to check out some small pickups.

7. Jim Byler

Jim Byler Pram Guy

I am the guy with the boat at the Sandpoint Boat show. Thanks for the tip about this website, Jim, it's great. I gave a brief description of the boat in an earlier thread (see above). It is my own design, but based on the bottom shape of a boat by Thomas Firth Jones entitled "Plywood Boats and a Few Others". The bottom width is about 40", and I have hauled it in my old Nisson PPU.

8. Warren Messer

Warren Messer Member

Home Page:
    I checked the max bottom width of the HSP Pram and it is 45" to the SolDuk's 42". I think I may go back and do some more tweeking of the hulls bottom panel and bring it out to 44". Which then means that all the bottom edges of the side panels need to be redrawn. Design much, cut once. The new 44" bottom should be more than enough for an 11' 2" hull. I took the CAD drawing of the HSP's bottom and over laid it on the SolDuk's, and I couldn't believe how much bottom area the HSP had for a 10ft pram. Like a mini aircraft carrier.