12/9 Upper Wynoochee Report & Access Question

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by quinnbpw@hotmail.com, Dec 10, 2006.

1. quinnbpw@hotmail.com

quinnbpw@hotmail.com New Member

I work nites so unfortunately got a late start fishing saturday. I was using it as a trip for some exploration of waters closer to home. My maps weren't nearly as good as I thought and by the time I was done driving forest roads and found some secluded, fishable water I was up by the dam. The water up there looked nice but in the few hours I was swinging flies (neither gracefully nor effectively) I wasn't able to confirm that there are actually fish in the Wynoochee. I still had a good day in that I was out fishing new water, didn't fall in, and saw some wildlife (deer, bald eagles, raccoon.) That's my report, I am sure that there are others out there saturday who were more successful as there were many boats out floating.

Here's my questions:
    I have maps but without enough detail? Where are some access points where a wading angler can have a fair amount of water to cover? Most people seemed to be concentrated on the lower river but in drift boats.
    2nd: What is the law in WA with regard to walking the river bank and the high water line?

Thanks for any help and if you don't want to post too much here, feel free to PM me.
    Brendan

2. WT

WT Active Member

Public has acces to the streambed below the high water mark on "navigable" rivers.
    Hope that helps.
    WT

3. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Fishing up that high doesn't work well until you get later in the season (Feb or so). While I haven't caught fish there, I have seen them in pools (which I subsequently spooked).

There is okay access above the gate, but it involves a *lot* of driving down
    logging spurs, using a good map, and a willingness to put in some bushwacking. I suggest on a rainy day that you head up there and just explore. I went there 2 years ago with my wife, and we spent the better part of a day just walking around. All in all we found 2 spots that had decent access, and even better yet, decent gravel bars to fish.

Also there is one access that is relatively easy to get to that crosses the river at a bridge, but I can't remember the name. There are a couple of shuttles that will move rigs from the access, just call a couple them and ask how far up they do their shuttles. If you're nice and use them to shuttle, they would probably be happy to tell you. If the river is low enough you can wade *CAREFULLY* across and you should have decent chances of finding good access both upstream and down.

Finally, I suggest you look at the archives. There are a couple of people that live near there, and if you can find their posts and PM them, they may be happy to help you out a bit. Sorry to be a bit vague, but I don't want to be responsible for just giving out names!