12 best all time fly rods....interesting light read

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Porter, Feb 20, 2009.

1. shawn k

shawn k Active Member

The scott 8 ft 8 inch rod is right on the money. That is the best bonefish/ striper rod I have ever cast. A true dart thrower.

2. hedburner

hedburner Active Member

Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    wonder why browning's Silaflex didn't make it. I love my Fenwicks use to have an HMG graphite, my D-glass and Steffen rods. Someday I'll order up a McFarland presentation rod. Year wait on them. Nicest old Loomis rod I ever had was 5wt IM6 think it was a 10 foot, or 9.5.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

All of this is one mans opinion. He needs to see what is out there now and then compare them all up.

Jim

4. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Agree, I have one of those also from the seventies, a 7 foot, 6 wgt, lots of trout and bass experienced it, its still in great shape.

:thumb:

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

It still would be just his opinion if he did that.

6. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

One of the most useful rods I ever had was a 1970's Lamiglas S-Glass 8' 6wt.

The car companies really need to install sensors on car doors to prevent accidental damage to fly rods. Their cost savings is really discrimination against clumsy inattentive guys like me. I'd probably still be using the S-Galss today!

Tom

7. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

I think the DS2 Sages were overlooked. They are very durable, and middle of the road action enough for any casting style or line/head.

While I love Loomis, I think the GLX in weights above 6 is a turd because it is soooooo stiff. Very hard on the wrists when used a couple hundred days per year. (for you Panhandle)

8. Porter

Porter Active Member

Jeremy interesting you should point that out. so many think if the 5 weight is great the 8 weight will be too. not true (IMHO). every make has it's hero and the ugly sister. And of course it is all opinion based. Length of a rod can also play a part. With regards to the XP I never cared for the 9' 5 weight as much as some do, but for me I think the 691-4 XP is one of the best rods I have ever owned. I didn't care much for the 6100-4. I much prefer the 896 XP over the 890 and 8100. This can probably be said for every line of rods. for the record i would like to state for dry fly action the 389 LL is the Bang. It acts like a winston but has some thomas & thomas beauty genes and a little of scott's G spot.

9. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Jeremy, a broom stick for sure. However, if you have an aggressive casting stroke this rod responds. This rod doesn't respond unless you force it to. Not for the passive caster.

10. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

11. UptheCreek

UptheCreek Member

I don't know a lot about fenwicks, but I have an older 8 1/2 foot feralite with FF85-3 on it for its description. I know I am a newbie so what does that description mean?

12. hedburner

hedburner Active Member

Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    I'm not real sure on that rod but I think it's 4/5 wt. Very rare, and very collectible and a great rod to fish. Original tube and sock worth hundreds of bucks to someone. Go ask about it here, http://www.fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com

13. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Agree on the DS2's, disagree on the GLX. I have a 6 and an 8 (older style, now called the Classic), and they are absolutely great casting and fishing tools. Interesting comment on them being so stiff, because many folks consider them not very stiff relative to other modern rods in their line weights.

14. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    completely agree, couldn't have said it better myself :thumb: Same with the BIIX's, like the 9'6" 5wt, love the 9'6" 6wt, don't like the 9'6" 8wt, love the 9' 4wt and think the 9' 5wt is ok

I would add the 590 and 490 SLT from Sage, love those two rods.

15. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

It's a lot of fun to see how differently people view various rods. I have a LL 389 and love it on water like the upper Skagit in BC, Kelly Creek, Silver Creek etc-just a great rod. In an entirely different action, I also love my Loomis IMX 4-lots of power for a 4 wt and just fun to cast all day. In 5 wts, my XP 590 is my go to rod, followed by my old 590 RPL+ (which this guy HATED) which is a great 5 wt nymphing rod. The 5 wt I hate is the SP 590, but that is one I give to my guests! In 7 and 8 wt, the GLX (old style) is a pleasure to cast all day (for me) and the old Winston BL5 in 9 wt has been great for windy days on the flats. Our fly club is blessed with several talented bamboo rod makers and I'm lucky to have an 8' 5 wt from one of them. Now it is tough to decide between the LL and the bamboo! Rick