12 days flyfishing the Alagnak in June for under $2000 - including air for Seattle

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by richard f lange, Mar 18, 2003.

1. richard f lange

richard f lange Member

Fly Fishing The Alagnak for under $2000
    45 mile float trip - June 12th to June 24th
    We will float and fish the Alagnak River from Nonvianuk Lake down to and through the braids, fishing for the river's aggressive, large, and hungry rainbows at the top, and the incoming kings, sockeye and chum at the bottom. Total cost, from Seattle, should be just under $2000. We supply the avons and food, you bring your tent, sleeping bag, fly rods and flies. This is a world recognized river for large rainbows and it has one of the world's largest runs of sockeye salmon. This is the beginning of another Alaska River Adventures fly-fishing trip, on the Alagnak. We'll fish till we drop, eat well, and we won't have to lie about the size of our fish. We'll take pictures and leave footprints and be dazzled by the beauty of our surroundings and the fish we will catch as we float quietly down the river, in search of wild rainbows... For more information, contact:
    Dick Lange at (425) 481-3063 or email Dick at richard.f.lange@boeing.com.
    :eek :beer2

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Alagnak Drift trip.

I spent a few months on the Alagnak, I don't think it's quite the world class water you make it sound like.
    The camping can be tough as the entire valley is crawling with bears, and there arent allot of fish around for them to eat yet.The problem is juvenile bears and bears that have learned to steal food from campers.They arent really dangerous, just a huge pain in the butt.And they wreck allot of camps every year.
    The Alagnak definately does not have that big a sockeye run, especially in the past few years.And generally the Alagnak fishing has been "off" over the past ten years.Most of the lodge taffic is below the lower braids so that should not be too bad.
    For the plus side; The drift trip you describe is beautiful and with the water and melt the way it is right now up there, the rowing and fishing should be pretty enjoyable even in the canyon. For the most part you should have some great dry fly fishing in the upper river and down to the braids, with the bigger trout in the upper river and near the lake, if not at the very mouth of the lake.I don't think anyone can beat that price, even for a drift trip without fishing. Even wih the minuses I spoke of, I wish I was going with you. Hope you share the pictures with us.

3. speyneznbhm

speyneznbhm been around

Alagnak Drift trip.

agreed here plan on experiencing jet boat traffic all through the braids up as far as the forks or higher the best salmon fishing will indeed be below the braids along with the lodge traffic lots of bears in the spriing to be sure I 'd spend most of the time you can above the middle sections of the braids for trout grayling and some early salmon all that aside I too wish I could go just don't be in a rush to get down to the main stem my 2 cents j.