12' Olympian To Fill Some Voids

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by LCnSac, Mar 17, 2012.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Picked this up today for some larger local rivers, heavy traffic areas of the Delta, larger lakes and some light salt bays. Boat is fairly new and the 15 Yami 4S moves it along well. Very stable on the river this morning.

The prop cage is custom and includes a Doel-Fin knock off. Raymarine sonar and a GPS too so a few toys to play with. Yes, the downriggers need to go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Wow, very nice setup! What did it run you?

That would be an AWESOME Puget Sound or lower Chehalis/Grays Harbor boat.

3. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Thanks, Jerry. $2500 including the electronics (Raymarine sonar and Lowrance GPS). This boat was previously owned by Bill Kiene, Kiene's Fly Shop. Bill had it custom built with extra layers of glass on the hull. Boat is a 2003. Motor is 2001. Other than a transom saver and a bow mount electric (I'm going to use my transom mount 55#--looks like an easy mount) it's turnkey with overkill, even has some nice oars for drifting, two anchors, etc. PLUS, some great pneumatic wheels for cartopping which I'll never do but they're perfect for building a cart for the loaded up Scadden.

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    With the Yamaha?????? Damned, you stole that boat. Motor alone is worth that. Boat, trailer, and all the extras were free. :)

I just picked up another drift boat. Have an old Eastside that I'm converting over to a boat like this. But yours is a fishing machine that's for sure. Score!!!!

5. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Here's a better picture of the hull. It's similar to the 13' Whaler post 1973 smirk hulls, as many of these small boats are. We tested some chop and this guy seems to be a little smoother, probably because the V runs a little farther aft and is slightly deeper forward than the Whaler. Draft with motor up is about 5".

The 14' Olympian hull is what Jim Wheeler is using as a prototype for his 14' Spring Creek flats boat. Talking to Jim, that's going to be a beautiful craft.

[​IMG]

6. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

That is a nice boat! Great deal. Looks handy & durable.

7. BFK

BFK Member

I inherited the same hull from my father who used it extensively in eastern Washington and BC. However, my boat looks nothing like this one on the inside. There are no tanks on the sides of the boat, and it tends to oilcan because of it. I was going to sell mine for a song (hull only) but now I might re-think it. The hull isn't a bad one, but the quality of its build is less than stellar. It's rated for a 25hp, which should make it go into low-Earth orbit.

8. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    @BFK--is it possible you have a 14'? This hull is rated at 15 HP tiller steering according to the CG plate, not rated for remote. The 14 is a different hull, not merely an expansion of the 12. The Columbia website is down now so it's hard to get any specs. The 14' mold is now owned by Jim Wheeler of Spring Creek.

This is the first non-Whaler glass power (as opposed to sail) boat I've had for about 40 years, and no, one would not confuse the build quality with a Whaler. Rolled gunnel boats are pretty much popped out of the mold and are single ply construction. I am OK with that for my uses. While the capabilities of a Whaler or comparable dual hull, foam injected boats are usually limited by the operator and not the boat, this one does have limitations built it. The hull design is good though. It feels as stable as a 13' Whaler so far. The original owner actually had this one custom built with several additional layers of glass on the bottom, and it shows. The hull is beefier than the stock hull.

The good thing about a single ply glass boat is that mods and strengthening are comparatively easy. I'm still focused on additions like a bow troller and stripping the gunnels of toys so it's more fly fishing friendly, but if need be adding some structure and interior mods won't be hard.

Follow Up Comment: I think you're right about the tanks. There are a couple of 12' Olympians for sale in Oregon and I looked at the pics--no side tanks. I guess the boat was a little more custom than I realized. Also, this is a 12b Model which has a 20" transom and higher sides. Maybe the tanks were included for that model--hard to say without the builder specs available.

I'll be glad to supply detail pics and measurements if you decide to take it on as a project.

9. BFK

BFK Member

Yep, it's the 12; I wish it was the 14. There are other differences in the boat. The sheer on yours is raised toward the front while on mine, it's straight. Stern seating is a pair of quarter tanks and no bench. There is no sole or false floor in mine, either.

I talked to Jim Wheeler at length one time about his new boat, and he said (as I had guessed) that these boats were made by several different companies under the Olympian and Columbian (I think the latter is correct) brands. The company which made mine did it on the cheap. When I did some work on it put a small deck across the tanks and filled them and the bow "seat" with foam, I found that the rear tanks were built of mat and chopped glass; you could see through the walls in spots. The transom is 15 inches, and the rating plate says 25 hp...definitely a death boat if you slapped that much power on it.

I haven't used it much and never with an outboard; although Dad ran his with a 9.9 and was happy.

At one point, I had the 10-foot model, which I liked until I swamped it landing a bass.

I'll give working on it more thought. It would be easy to do the mods, especially with yours as a model.

10. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    They were also built under at least two other names: Keaton Boats here in Sacramento, and TPL Boats, origin unknown.

11. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Given the hull shape and keel, I would not be afraid to use a 25 HP motor with controls amidship. The probable reason our boats of the same size are rated differently is the production year. Most Olympians out there were built pre-4 stroke and rated for a two stroke. Mine is a 2003 boat and rated for 4 stroke. Many manufacturers don't/didn't change the structure; they just rate lower for the increased weight and torque of the 4S. Sure enough, checking a 2003 2-stroke 25 HP EL Merc it's 114 lbs. My 15 HP 4-stroke Yami is 110 lbs., so there you are. The weight limit has been reached with the 15 HP 4S. A 20 is about the same and would probably be fine with the right prop.

That is why I didn't get an older 13' Whaler. They are maybe $1000 more but for that price range come with an old 2 stroke and I hate 2 strokes and will never own another. A 13' classic Whaler will support only a 25 HP 4S and while adequate, you get that meandering feeling rather than running even approaching the Whaler capabilities. The hull is rated for 40 HP, but based on a 2 stoke weight.

12. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Many years ago I had the 14' Columbian. I had a old 25hp Evenrude on it and went quite well. I put a casting decks fore and aft and a steering console in the middle. The boat was incredibly stable but wasn't to good in rough water, I think do to the added weight in the bow. Yours is set up really nice and should be a very versatile boat for what you want to use it for. Thanks for posting, it brings back some fond memories.

13. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Nice boat! You can always use the downriggers to deploy a windsock when drifting. :) Have you looked at getting a tiller extension so you can move your weight forward especially when solo. http://www.microskiff.com/reviews/products/tiller-extension/index.html

I bet the mini jacker jack plate would improve performance (adds 4" of setback) and it will definitely reduce draft (by 3") with the motor down as well. It also gives so much more room in the back of the boat with the 4" of setback. I LOVE mine on my 12' tin boat.
    http://www.basspro.com/MiniJacker-for-Clampon-Outboards/product/8782/122143

14. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I have been contemplating getting one of those mini-jacker plates for my 16' Sea Nymph john boat. I'm only running a 9.9 Merc 4S Bigfoot on it. If I find a gym bag full of cash washed up on one of my beach walks, and decide to keep this boat, I might even trade up to a 25 hp with power tilt.

15. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

I've been seriously pleased with my mini jacker. Probably the best value mod I've ever made to a boat (less than $100 and makes several things noticeable better on the boat).
    The only downside might be that the cowling on my 9.8 Tohatsu seems a little prone to coming loose when tilting up by the handle on the cowl. I think the extra setback means I need to apply more forward force to lift the motor instead of a more upward force if the motor were closer. That's really a flaw in my motor's design and not a true detriment to the mini jacker IMHO.

If you do upgrade motors and you have shift on the tiller with your current Merc you'll likely miss it on a different motor if not so equipped. It's well worth the extra $ for tiller shift especially if you have a jack plate and tiller extension (it's a LONG ways back to the shift lever otherwise! :) )