Rocky Ford

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
Have any of you fine folks ever seen a Giant Waterbug at RF? I am not kidding, they are unreal creatures! I have been fishing at or near dark and heard a weird noise on the shoreline, and put the light on the sound to see a crazy looking/cockroach looking "thing" cleaning itself, it's legs contorting here and they..preening like a coot.
Big dragonfly nymphs are not top dog in the water.

http://www.beneficialbugs.org/bugs/Giant_Water_Bug/giant_water_bug.htm
Hmm, gonna have to find a pattern for that bug!

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
I haven't fished RF since 1973. Caught my largest trout to that date but never made it back. This is the first time I've seen RF considered as a stillwater.
It looks pretty still in photographs : ) I thought the same. Sort of an odd catergorizing. We need more spring creeks so we can have a new category.

If you were feeling better, I'd rib you about how much time it took to reach RF by horseback back in the 70's?
I bet it was wild as hell in that area? B&B drive in was in full-stride I would hope, in Soap Lake?
Hope you feel better

Last edited:

Buzzy

View attachment 131333
It would be like trying to cast a big pinecone. Baby turtle pattern, maybe?
6/0 waterboatman perhaps.
)
Might be the KCalorie answer to how come the fish attain such nice size in the basin waters.

Another reason I kept my hands out of the water at night!
I can't tell you how many times I've been to RF over the years and have never seen these critters. But I believe you. To think I used to go down there in the summer with running shoes, no socks and blue jeans and stand stream side. Not anymore, not without at least hip boots, and The Judge. Rattlesnakes, ticks and giant waterbugs. I heard there are now mountain lions and wolves in the vicinity.:rolleyes:

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
I can't tell you how many times I've been to RF over the years and have never seen these critters. But I believe you. To think I used to go down there in the summer with running shoes, no socks and blue jeans and stand stream side. Not anymore, not without at least hip boots, and The Judge. Rattlesnakes, ticks and giant waterbugs. I heard there are now mountain lions and wolves in the vicinity.:rolleyes:
I have only seen a couple of the Giant Waterbugs. What a great name too. No messing around.
Giant Waterbug : )

There WERE cougars and wolves in the vicinity until the recent ufo alien abductions. The probing was not limited to humans, so the predators scattered. Things have quieted since then.
Those were not coyotes you heard howling, but repeat..mmm.."customers"...

I have seen a smoking man there a few times over the years. The Wooly Scully pattern I cannot recommend enough.

Last edited:

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
There was a cougar there the other night. It was really foggy so I only had glimpses of it here and there. But it really freaked me out as it seemed to be following me, stalking me. Then the fog finally cleared enough that I got a good look at it - starring at me from just a few feet away was my own cougar reflection in the water!

b_illymac

Member Active
There was a cougar there the other night. It was really foggy so I only had glimpses of it here and there. But it really freaked me out as it seemed to be following me, stalking me. Then the fog finally cleared enough that I got a good look at it - starring at me from just a few feet away was my own cougar reflection in the water!
And not even from Soap Lake!!!;):D

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
I've only seen one of the Giant Water Beetles, but that was at a lake in Oregon. I did some research on them after that and found very little information about them being a food source for trout. That doesn't mean they aren't though. I mean a member of the forum here caught a fish out of the Ford on a baby rattle snake pattern.

SERE Nate

I need to get back out to RF! When I 1st started fly fishing last spring, I went there quite a bit and got my butt kicked by them! Best day was 3 fish. Was skunked more often than not.

Now that I actually have half a clue what I'm doing, I wonder if my luck would change much.

Porter

In the springtime grab a 6 weight with a good floater and tie on a 8-10" articulated rattler leech pattern and cast up current a bit and then strip while moving the tip of rod. Slightly downstream.