Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Never let winter get in your way

Tags
in winter
2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Buzzy 
#1 ·
I spent a few days at the "ranch" doing some remodeling. Afterwards, I took a short drive to a local lake. Lo and behold there were two hardy fishermen doing their best despite a foot of ice and 8 inches of snow. Both had taken some nice trout and lost a couple too. Not my cup of tea, I'll wait a while before I hit that one again.

Cloud Sky Daytime Snow Slope

Snow Slope Winter sport Freezing Carnivore

Snow Freezing Slope Ice cap Sled

See less See more
#3 ·
Not my cup of tea either. There is no trout or fish in the world that I want to catch badly enough to sit my butt next to a hole in the ice like that. There is a reason why I have a fishing season. It's when the weather and water conditions are suitable for fishing, and the fish are hopefully responsive.

#13 ·
I used to really enjoy ice-fishing when I was a bit younger. "Perch Jerking" could really keep you hopping (and made for some great fish fries!). I even did a little of it out here when ice was sufficient. I think those days are behind me now, though.

#15 ·
.....but certainly the epicenter of the Spring Fling!

Here on the frozen tundra it has just been brutal. So much snow has come off of my roof that I can now walk up on top of the house. On the ground there is at least 2 feet of snow and 6' to 8' berms around the place are going to take a long time to melt. If only I could get my trailer out I would be gone but right now I would need a bulldozer to move some mountains of snow. I have even contemplated going somewhere snow free and living in a motel for a few days just to get some relief.

Next week looks better though with temps finally moving into the forties. On Sunday I'll try to plow my way out to the county road and hope another rogue snowstorm doesn't ruin all of my efforts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.