Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Lenice/Nunnally on Saturday

Tags
on
3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  dp 
#1 ·
I am planning to check out both lakes on Saturday. Not bringing a boat, bringing my dog, so I will be walking into both lakes and try fishing from shore. I figured I can fish the east side of both lakes pretty easily. I want to see how the lakes look and the water clarity before I head over next week for a few days. So this is more of a scouting expedition.
I'll apologize now for my dog when, not if, he starts barking. he is new to the game - and actually my ticket for coming out on Saturday. he is young and still learning the ropes. hopefully he will cooperate and let me fish.

Who else from the Forum plans to be there? Salzer? Troutpocket? Wayne?
I'm curious how busy the lakes will be on the opener. the weather looks OK.
I'm planning to get on the east sand bar on Lenice and will have two rods strung: bugger on an intermediate and then a chiro setup on the other.

hope to see some of you guys out there. I'll be watching for hook sets!

#3 ·
Porter has not been exposed to much swimming yet - let alone fishing. he did fall into Rocky Ford last month. that was fun to ride home with!
he's gonna be a handful, but if I don't take him with me and leave him home and I fish all day, there will be hell to pay when I get home!
it will be worth it.
I hope I can get him trained enough to sit in my inflatable with me at some point. he really is my golden (retriever) ticket to get out more (even more than I currently do). I mean, then I can get a trailer, spend multiple nights camping, etc.
I envy those guys that do this!

dp

#5 ·
Good luck with the pup. Just my 2 cents...fishing probably isn't the best outing to train a young pup. I love dogs, and had a true companion of 12 years in our lab-Shepard mutt, but nothing pisses me off more than a "fishing" dog that won't stay, heal or come on a busy fishing hole. So if I feel that way, as a dog lover...just beware of grumpy fisherman that don't think it's cool that a dog swims through their spot. That's all I'm saying.
Thanks for scouting. Be interested if you see any ice as I plan to fish Quincy lakes on Monday & Tuesday.

#6 ·
noted skyriver and I respect your input. Porter is 1.5 yrs old. if we go, he will be leashed up with limited mobility. he gets vocal and I know that may piss people off. With all that being said, I may just concentrate on Nunnally in the far east corner. fishing is lower on the radar versus him behaving. we may just stroll into Lenice and throw rocks at everyone!

I'll be curious about your Quincy trip too. Next week I will be fishing for 3/4 days - mainly on Lenice/Nunnally. if they suck, I planned to try Quincy/Burke. my home base will be Mattawa.

#7 ·
I was thinking about heading out to Lenice this weekend. I've been getting more and more interested in stillwater so I bought a float tube. dp I see that you're bringing a intermediate line. I'm sure this topic has been discussed to death but for fishing lenice/other eastern WA lakes is it better to have an intermediate or a, say, type 3 full sink line for stripping streamers? Sorry if I am hijacking your thread. Maybe I'll see you out there this weekend!

#11 ·
regarding rods and lines: yes, been discussed many times on this Forum. intermediate, sink tips, full sinks, floaters. they all have their place and it really comes down to what is your preference.
mine are noted above. Oh, and cold beer.

#15 ·
thanks for the water update. Here is my updated Saturday plan:
walk into Lenice about 9:00 and see how things are. I will try to get onto the inlet sand bar and fish for a bit.
Then I will drive to the main lot for Nunnally and walk in. I want to scout out the best place to bring in our boats and launch for next week. I will be heading to the east end with dog in tow and fish the east corner. I figure I will be out of people's way and Porter can have some fun.
Then I plan to walk further east towards Bobbi. I recall some open parts of water (by the boats) where I can fish from shore and the pooch can enjoy the scenery.

Easy peasy. good luck to all you guys this weekend

#17 ·
he just thinks he needs to greet everyone with a loud bark as he is so excited. he is still a dog-in-training. one thing I have not been good with - is interaction with other dogs. given that he is mostly an inhouse dog, he does not get a lot of interaction with other dogs. Porter is more of a family dog than a fishing/hunting dog - by choice,
I have only taken him fishing with me once to Rocky Ford earlier this year and he did pretty good.
so the more i get him out, the easier it should be - right?

#19 ·
so the more i get him out, the easier it should be - right?
No. The more you train him the easier it gets. 10 to 15 minutes of daily "school" (training time) will make most retrievers perfectly behaved dogs. Observers who don't have experience training dogs (which is most people, including most dog owners) will think both you and your dog are geniuses because most dogs in the world aren't trained worth shit.

#20 ·
Hi dp
I have had labs my whole life, and do recommend a shock collar for training. I am a very active hunter and the tight training is safety oriented as well as obedience. Works for barking too. Current dog Kali is now 6 and a joy to be with. Just put the collar on and she is all attentive business. Haven't hit the button for some tome, the churp is always enough.
BTW, anyone interested in duck feathers LMK. I get mallard, pintail, gadwall, teal, woody, shoveler, and widgeon.
Good luck on finding a boat launch at Nunnally. I gave up a few years ago and just use a fat cat. Ron

#21 ·
thanks for the dog advise guys.
I think next week are we going to have to push our boats to the far east side of Nunnally (from the first parking lot) to get on the water. But I'll be confirming that tomorrow.
I'm getting exited about trying Bobbi in the open areas. I'm having visions of bobber down! (Indicator for Ira). Bobber down is easier and more fun to say.

#23 ·
successful day on Saturday. the weather was perfect. walked with Lenice and Nunnally. Got a fish in each lake on a chiro. Porter was awesome - no barking issues at all... he stayed leashed up while at Lenice as there were a lot of people. we got to the sand bar and I fished some but really was watching the crowd. saw some fish caught.
Hiked into Nunnally from the second lot. I met the new Fish and Game guy when I pulled in. Pretty easy walk in and I feel I can push my boat in. No one was at Nunnally so Porter got to run free the entire time. it was a lot of fun. Found two places where I can launch on the far east side of the lake - could possibly be the beginning of Bobbi. There were boats in both areas (aluminum or fiberglass). shallow and really muddy.
what great weather. I will be back from Thursday -Sunday. will be fishing both lakes. se you there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.