Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Beach fishing near Shelton

5K views 48 replies 26 participants last post by  River Pig 
#1 ·
Anybody willing to share a beach location near Shelton?

#6 ·
Go fish Purdy with the FOURTEEN other guys I counted while driving over the bridge today (this is not an exaggeration). I was heading from one spot to another and that just happened to be the quickest route. I knew there was a reason I have never hit that beach since I started fishing SRC. We can be an unoriginal bunch, can’t we. Hundreds of miles of shoreline and 80% of the saltwater guys out today were fishing the same beach. I hope there was a club outing or something going on. What a cluster that looks to be. I barely put up with that sh*t for coho in the fall...

As others have said, check out state, county and city county parks on the water in that area. Lots of spots to check out. If you can get access to the water...fish it.

#8 ·
Go fish Purdy with the FOURTEEN other guys I counted while driving over the bridge today (this is not an exaggeration). I was heading from one spot to another and that just happened to be the quickest route. I knew there was a reason I have never hit that beach since I started fishing SRC. We can be an unoriginal bunch, can't we. Hundreds of miles of shoreline and 80% of the saltwater guys out today were fishing the same beach. I hope there was a club outing or something going on. What a cluster that looks to be. I barely put up with that sh*t for coho in the fall...

As others have said, check out state, county and city county parks on the water in that area. Lots of spots to check out. If you can get access to the water...fish it.
Pretty sure much of the Purdy crowd is guide traffic. I'm happy for them to keep clients there and off other spots :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#12 · (Edited)
It’s been rumored the cutts at Purdy know everyone’s names.
The Port of Purdy is considering putting in parking meters because the place has become so popular.
They view the beach pounding as a untapped source of revenue.
After the meters go in, next comes the beach angler carbon tax.
SF

#15 ·
I went to a popular Seattle beach this am to give a new line a few casts before heading south to meet the wife's parents, and ran into two dudes frustrated and dismayed by the lack of action on said beach. They were new, and I had no qualms about pointing them to Purdy. Whatever else it is, it's productive and a good place for a noob to pop his cherry.

Maybe you guys are just jealous that their flat bills, puffy's and go pros look prettier than yours.

#16 ·
Jon,
Thanks for pointing them to Purdy.
The state appreciates the bridge tolls.
Flat bills....never saw them at Purdy back in the 60’s.
Is that a new type of duck? ;)
Since they removed the buoy and Pearl’s closed, the cherry popping experience at Purdy has been on a steady decline.
SF

#25 ·
It was a club outing at Purdy yesterday...I counted 18 guys in the water, and 4 others taking a break on the logs. For what's it worth they looked to be having a good time so good for them. I kept on rolling to other beaches in the area all within 15-30 minutes from Purdy. I visited about 5 beaches, but only fished 3 yesterday (crowding) on my all day kitchen pass. I met some good people, and some introduce some healthy fish to my net.
I have never really grasped the, "FF club" thingy.

#27 ·
Assuming guiding is here to stay, I'm with EyeJuggler. If you've never fished for SRC and a guide takes you there you'd probably not know any better anyway, and you'll probably catch something. Then if you take the initiative to DYI'it you'll look back and say "huh, glad the guides keep all the noobs @ Purdy" so I can have XXX beach to myself.

Plus, if Purdy is your jam then go for it. Like XP, I've had some fun days there at Purdy (and no, I've never been with a guide). The drive out to my in-laws has me go over that bridge and I'll sometimes stop in for 30 min when getting to another beach just doesn't fit in my timeline. I'd say in the 10'ish times I've been there, I've had it to myself 3-4 times and never been there with more than 3 other folks. I think i've only been skunked once and caught a few fatties as well. But yeah, if there are like 8 guys there I'm driving on.

#30 ·
I joke about Purdy being overrun, but like others I'm kind of glad that it is now.
It saves a ton of pressure other places might receive.

It hasn't ever been a secret spot, but you rarely shared it with more then a couple of people at the most.
Now it seems like if folks are already there, folks continue to pile in. Rocky Ford of the south sound.
My dad used to take us cutthroat fishing there back in the 60's when we needed a quick fishing fix.
I caught my first cutt there on a red and white daredevil spoon.
It seems like in the last decade and especially the last five years or so, the place has been become super popular.

I've had some truly memorable days there in the past along with some other board members here.
Big cutts, nice coho and chums and witness to some teener blackmouth being caught.
Pound on....
SF

#34 ·
It's been rumored the cutts at Purdy know everyone's names.
The Port of Purdy is considering putting in parking meters because the place has become so popular.
They view the beach pounding as a untapped source of revenue.
After the meters go in, next comes the beach angler carbon tax.
SF
What if I have already done my part by taking the carbon out of the environment in a form of a fly rod?

Lou

#36 ·
The thing to do is pick out a good-looking beach near your house. Then fish it hard. Fish it on the incoming tide and on the falling tide. See what the beach looks like at lots of different water levels. The fish will show you when to fish. Remember, all Puget Sound beaches change every few minutes unless it is slack tide. Once you learn one beach, write down what you know and keep fishing it -- while checking out other beaches. Finding and learning beaches is just as fun as catching and releasing sea-run cutts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.