Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

2 Days in the basin

Tags
in
3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Troutlife 
#1 ·
This is half the size of Troutpocket's post. Only had 2 days off. ;)
First day was at the super-secret lake called Quincy. It fished well and I was one of only a couple fly-fishers.
It was a beautiful day

Lots of fish caught. Most were between 13-15", but this guy was pushing 18" and had some serious shoulders. Best fight of the year so far.

Got him on a chironomid, but most fish were on my faithful bugger. In fact, was down to only 1 left so I tied a couple in the hotel.

Day 2 was at another secret lake called Lenice. The 5th wheel crew was still there. In fact, talked with a nice guy named John (Thornton, if I remember correctly...) and he had been there since the 1st and was staying until this coming Sunday. Retired life...can't wait!
The bobber crew were setup on the far bank and doing well. I caught a few on the bobber, including a very spunky 17" that made the walk in worth it. I caught a few others on my bugger. This pic struck me because most people were off the lake by the time I left. You don't see Lenice like this very often!

All in all a great 2 day trip. I'm glad I hit Lenice since I haven't fished it in 10 years, but I probably would have done better at Quincy or even walking into Dusty. Lenice had that "pounded" feel. I almost stopped at Nunnally since there were no cars at the west lot and only 1 car at the east lot.

FYI, really impressed by an older gentleman, probably 80 yrs old or so, that packed in his cata-tube and 2 rods. It's not like walking to the the east side of Nunnally, but still. I was impressed. Hope I'm still packing into lakes when I'm his age!

See less See more
#8 ·
My black bugger looks almost like yours a great patern but on mine I added a white bead it worked 200% better with then without and is one of my to producing flys also try the same thing in purple with a purple bead.Sounds crazy but try it .I'have caught the 4 biggest trout of my life on the purple,it doesnt always work but on a dark day and off colored water it will work.

#12 ·
I fish a lot of buggers, One of my favs is olive with crystal flash olive tail, gold bead head, or light brown. In fact just about anything with a gold bead head and crystal flash. My wife only fishes the light brown trolling and sometimes she hammers me lol. I strip long fast and hard. You don't want them to get a good look at it, just strike on instinct. I put one up against an articulated bugeye damsel nymph that was a bitch to tie one day at Dry Falls. Guess which one won lol (although I did get a rod breaking strike from a nice fattie on the damsel). Also your black with a black flashabou tail and purple conehead in low light. I tie a "Hairy Carey" that we made up one slow day on Lenore. Bare bones Carey with a whole long pheasant flank feather, not spiraled. Turns out it's wicked on just about any central WA lake (and Omak). The harder you strip the bigger the fish. I caught some true monsters on it in the Potholes when absolutely nothing else was working. I gave up finessing them years ago, I want to catch fish, not wait for little tap taps lol. Except for a Sno-cone or WD40 under an indicator when I'm bored or need some lunch or a brewskie :D

#16 ·
All time best flies:

#1 by far: Black Crystal Wooly Bugger with gold bead
#2: Hare's ear nymph, surprisingly (to me) both in lakes and streams
#3: Parachute Adams

In lakes, my go to is the bugger, typically with a Hare's ear or similar tied off the bend of the hook. Fish it with 6-inch strips.

In streams, I like to fish a Parachute Adams with a nymph dropper. I don't know if that is "by the book" but it works well in the small waters I fish. Very well.

In bigger rivers, I don't know what I am doing and typically don't catch anything. But I try ;).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.