Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Eastside Food, Fish, and Fly: Lake Report

4K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  tkww 
#1 ·
Popular east side lake, excellent fishing Sunday.
Beautiful weather too.
Water was clear, slightly green, pretty cold but I forgot to take a temperature.

Fish sampled had mostly daphnia, some chironomids, worms, and occasional damsel nymph.

I caught fish under the indicator on a chromie pattern and bloodworm pattern, or in one case, a possie bugger.

Casting and stripping with a type V Aiflo line, a usually good variegated black and olive small bugger was not producing much. Switched over to a bigger white pattern and things improved immediately.

I was fishing two poles, watching the indicator on the floating line and stripping the sinking line. Takes were often subtle indicator movements for the chromie, so I missed a lot when the indicator rod was not in hand. Most of the takes on the white stripped pattern were in the final part of the retrieve, near the boat.

Very good day.

Sample
Liquid Fluid Ingredient Recipe Cuisine
Water Underwater Fluid Fin Liquid
Water Liquid Fin Fluid Fish

These fly images with the fly under water.
I had not had much experience with white, but some folks here had reported success with it, so I tried, and was glad I did!
Artificial fly Water Feather Fishing bait Electric blue
Water Insect Arthropod Pest Marine biology

This guy had something dialed in.
Water Sky Water resources Ecoregion Natural landscape

Jay

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks for the report and good pics. In the throat sample, what's the organism at 7 o'clock or maybe more like 7:30 with what looks like a red triangle on it?
Interesting you spotted that. I had not.
I do always see things in these pictures afterwards that I did not see in the field with my eyes.

Perhaps that is the remains of a water boatman?

I did see a water boatman in the water near the boat, and I did see something making a fuss on top of the water, then to my surprise, it broke through the surface film and dived down. seems like boatman behavior.

I failed to mention in my report, fish were a consistent 15 to 17 inches, with a few a little smaller.

jay

#19 ·
Tied with "Daphnia Fritz" in apricot. I have had a couple "plucks" fishing these under an indicator but the material is quite stiff and the hook gap narrowed by wrapping and packing the material so the jury is still out. Regardless of how effective some of our friends up north and across the Atlantic say "blob" flies are, I don't see any similarity between this pattern and the photo @jwg posted.... I like your take too!

View attachment 164978
Maybe open the gap by tying it on a longer shank hook? Would leave the "toothy" part more exposed. Maybe something like a TMC 101?

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.