Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Coldwater

Tags
coldwater
2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Penobscot 
#1 ·
Made a run up to Coldwater this morning only to get blown out before I launched the boat! The forecast called for ESE wind... but it was hard out of the NE there. Nice day for a drive though, and Mt St Helens was particularly nice to look at...
The road up up was clear and dry, (4' snow berms at the top) ..they are rebuilding a bridge at the 17 mile mark, (one lane) .. and the ramp area was clear enough. I'll try it again when it warms up again and the wind gives me a break...
Water Sky Water resources Mountain Snow
Water Sky Mountain Water resources Snow
Cloud Sky Water Mountain Highland

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Made a run up to Coldwater this morning only to get blown out before I launched the boat! The forecast called for ESE wind... but it was hard out of the NE there. Nice day for a drive though, and Mt St Helens was particularly nice to look at...
The road up up was clear and dry, (4' snow berms at the top) ..they are rebuilding a bridge at the 17 mile mark, (one lane) .. and the ramp area was clear enough. I'll try it again when it warms up again and the wind gives me a break... View attachment 164959 View attachment 164955 View attachment 164957
Spectacular view of St. Helens and the dome Pez!

#7 ·
Put a little electric motor on that pontoon and you could have run out past the island and wind drifted in.
I use a 35lb thrust and a milk crate bungeed to the back platform for the battery.
Works well.

#15 ·
Haha... the grass is always....er.... water is alway bluer at the far end! I did once get caught up at the NE end with my canoe when the wind came up... think it was dark before I got to the ramp after 3 hours of hard paddling! So... about to the Rock is as wild as I get anymore.

#14 ·
I would be leery of heading to the far end, and then having westerly thermals pick up throughout the afternoon, finding some trout and lingering too long back there...requiring a battle against wind & chop for much of the way back. An electric motor will help.
At least those gnarly easterlies blow you back toward the launch.
I try to pick a day with a mellower wind forecast for there, with a couple of alternate lakes on my contingency plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.