Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

First time to this lake......

Tags
first this time to
2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  BobGom 
#1 ·
Heading south to oly area tomorrow. Never fished that lake before.......any suggestions?

#2 · (Edited)
Straight out from the launch, on a bearing of 173º, at 64 yards, there's a spring; it's at 28'7" and flows year round @ 57/58º. Trout (huge, wild rainbows) hunker down here. They take #14 black bodied, red brassie-size Ultra Wire ribbed chironomids with 1/16" black nickel tungsten beads and fluorescent white 1/3 strand Antron thread gills trimmed to about 3/32". Be sure to use a loop knot with a 3/16" loop. Oh yeah: the fly should be gently "bobbed" about 11.5-12" off the bottom with 0ne-and-a-half-inch "bobs." Bring a camera.

#5 ·
Good info' Ron, but I've learned over decades of fishing that spot that it's critical to keep the fly exactly 4-3/8" inch off the left mandible of the fish to expect any success at all.
Again this is critical - positioning the fly any other way will result in poor, to non-existent success.

And the takes are extremely subtle....

#7 ·
WOW! THANK YOU! That's a lot of great info! That's a lot of specific info for such a general request. Thank you. But, all I really need is the time of day when the water temp, ph balance, available light and wind speed match up perfectly for prime trout vs chironomid activity. That's the ticket! ;):D................

Munn Lake. It's Munn Lake. My bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.