Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

road tripping through WA

3K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  Greg Price 
#1 ·
Hi I'm an experienced fly fisher from South Africa and will be road tripping through WA, I will try and get to Skagit, Diablo, Ross, Chelan, Sthekin, Methow, Yakima and Columbia rivers/lakes.

To do justice I'm asking for any recomendations, what flies and locations, obviously with the time available i'll not be able to do justice to the above so some help on making a memorable trip will be a great help, i'm looking for a great experience rather than splashing on every stream I cross!!

#8 ·
Washington is beautiful year around. The highways across the Cascade Range will be open in June, which is an excellent time for fishing lakes, but streams may be high and discolored. As much as I love this state, the Canadian Rockies in August may be a better choice. They're amazingly beautiful, and high mountain lakes will be open. The Bow River, which flows through Calgary, is one of the great trout rivers in North America.

Reactions: Thrasybulus
#10 ·
HW20 in the north cascades is one of the most beautiful drives in the US that you will find, and the north cascades loop would be an option if you wanted try steelhead, the Skykomish will have some around then and residents in upper tribs. One could find Bulltrout in the main Skagit and resident rainbows in the upper river but conditions will be high water and nomerouse lakes in June. Once over the pass options leen more to lakes as most east side rivers will be closed or high with runoff still. The Methow valley is stunning and lakes are around to play on. The Yakima will be high as well but there is some bank access for the warding angler for some resident trout.

#15 ·
If your primary objective is to fish rivers, then August gets my vote. If you primarily just want a scenic roadtrip that may have some fishing thrown in, then June all the way. However, June will find many rivers unfishable due to runoff but the mountains will have more snow and be beautiful.

#21 ·
Fishing on Ross Lake opens on July 1rst. Diablo Lake is open year round. I'm not sure about the season on the upper skagit river this year. Last year it was closed to fishing during the summer. Ross Lake has very good fishing for native/wild rainbow trout. No question that the best fishing is from a boat on Ross. However access is very limited to the lake. The reservoir is better than 20 miles in length and from the south end there is no road access. The resort at the south end has boat rentals. There is road access from the BC end on the north side of the lake at Hozomeen but there is no facilities there. Ross Lake has a very large population of Red Side Shiners and as for fly fishing patterns what represents that minnow tends to work. Trolling with heavy full sink lines as well as casting/striping patterns close to shore work well. Fall typically produces the best fishing. Have had fall days of 40 plus fish to 20inches. Earlier in the summer not such numbers but great fishing nontheless.

#25 ·
Do a search over the overall site and you will find way more info about those places you reference than you will get in a "one-time" shot to your message. And, many of those waters reference don't necessarily fish the best at the same time...

It's a beautiful state, and you'll love your trip! Drive carefully.

#27 ·
wow thanks, pity that I will be there so early, how would Diablo be fishing in the early part of June?
wow thanks, pity that I will be there so early, how would Diablo be fishing in the early part of June?[/QOTE]
I'm not that tuned into the Diablo lake fishery but here is what I am able to share. I'm presuming you will be sans boat/floating vessel. There is shore access at the thunder arm/colonial creek area right off highway 20. Also limited access at the ELC via Diablo Dam at the mouth of Sourdough creek mouth. Ive seen folks fishing this area during my travels up to Ross lake. As i mentioned previously my knowledge is more based on the Ross Lake fishery as Ive spent the better part of 45 years living on the lake.

#26 ·
The Chelan River is basically an outfall from Lake Chelan and is not fishable. The Stehekin River on the other hand is an incredible river. It flows into Lake Chelan 52 miles above the dam in midtown. We have a small population of Chinook Salmon in Lake Chelan and the bigger rainbows come out of the lake to feed on Salmon eggs in the fall. There is no road that goes all the way up the lake but you can ride the Lady of the Lake that makes daily trips or you can ride the Express that runs at a higher speed. I believe there is just one guide service at Stehekin (name of the small town at the head of the lake. Stehekin is going back 30 or 40 years. They just got a phone service a few years ago much to the objection of most of the population. No tv (unless you have a satellite dish. Scenery is stunning, the lake is crystal clear and 1500 feet deep.

I have a cabin at Lucerne, 8 miles downlake from Stehekin. You can fly fish for cutthroat all along the shore. Currently Kokanee are the popular game fish.

Following photo is of the Lady moored at Stehekin and looking towards the Stehekin River.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pho...AhUr_4MKHeXrBuIQ9QEIMzAE#imgrc=2NFfGDCvBF2yOM:

#32 ·
The Chelan River is basically an outfall from Lake Chelan and is not fishable. The Stehekin River on the other hand is an incredible river. It flows into Lake Chelan 52 miles above the dam in midtown. We have a small population of Chinook Salmon in Lake Chelan and the bigger rainbows come out of the lake to feed on Salmon eggs in the fall. There is no road that goes all the way up the lake but you can ride the Lady of the Lake that makes daily trips or you can ride the Express that runs at a higher speed. I believe there is just one guide service at Stehekin (name of the small town at the head of the lake. Stehekin is going back 30 or 40 years. They just got a phone service a few years ago much to the objection of most of the population. No tv (unless you have a satellite dish. Scenery is stunning, the lake is crystal clear and 1500 feet deep.

I have a cabin at Lucerne, 8 miles downlake from Stehekin. You can fly fish for cutthroat all along the shore. Currently Kokanee are the popular game fish.

Following photo is of the Lady moored at Stehekin and looking towards the Stehekin River.

https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+of+stehekin+wa&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=rlAuJFQw5sQzgM%3A%2CUILrGD1CMUm2kM%2C_&usg=__suvBtur5DoqMesz5Zy7VrSHHZPs=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjWlcvAnPDaAhUr_4MKHeXrBuIQ9QEIMzAE#imgrc=2NFfGDCvBF2yOM:
Thanks for the info! Planning on doing this trip over 5 days in September! The Todd moan video is pretty incredible and just the scenery alone looks unbelievable in pictures!

#28 ·
Hey all,

We are looking at doing some camping at Pearrygin State Park / Winthrop and then driving west over the HWY 20 pass to the i5. Wondering if y'all could give me an idea of what the pass is like, as far as vertical rise. Just this past summer we drove the Sherman Pass section from Kettle falls to Republic and it was a lovely drive and fairly easy pulling the trailer. Wondering what this section would be like?

Thanks!

G
#30 ·
Hiway 20 is by far the most scenic road in Washington state, there is nothing between Manama & marblemount so have a full gas tank & some snacks and drinks. There are plenty of pullouts for photo & viewing stops. Pulling a trailer should not be much of an issue if you take your time & enjoy the drive.

#31 ·
Washington Pass is 5000'+ high, and Rainy Pass, a few miles west, is around 4700' high. It's a well engineered, fairly wide highway, with scads of curves going downhill to Diablo Lake.

Reactions: troutnabout
#34 ·
June's a tough month for our rivers. If that's when you're planning for, the Yakima is never a bad option and the Skagit can fish well for large bull trout and some rainbows. Give the Guys at Red's fly shop or Ellensburg Angler a call for up-to-date river info before you fish the Yak, they'll point you in the right direction. The Skagit is big water and typically a sink tip/streamer game.

Diablo, Ross and Gorge can fish well in June for rainbows and the occasional char. Boats are highly recommended, but can be fished without. Dry flies to steep shore breaks or streamers will work. Lake levels will also dictate your access but they are never unfishable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.