Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Wanting to tie my own flies

3K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  flybill 
#1 ·
I would like the distinguished panel their opinion on a matter. I want to begin to tie my own flies. I could either buy a book or cd or take a class. How did you learn to tie flies? What method from the above mentioned would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I was lucky enough to meet some guys that got together every week and they allowed me to sit in. I would recommend the class if that is your option for getting together with someone who knows how it's done. Once you get comfortable with the basics, books and videos make a lot more sense.

Just like everything related to flyfishing, the initial cost can be steep but it always seems worth it.

Have fun,
Rod :beer2:

#6 ·
I got started with a good friend and a good book. After that, lots of trial, error, and dumb questions on this site.

If I didn't have the good friend to learn from, I'd probably have taken a class. I'd still like to take a class for that matter. I think a lot will depend on your individual learning style.

#7 ·
Take it from someone who began tying flies back in the dark ages b.c. (before desktop computers) of 1962 at age 9 with only a book for instruction. It took me years to figure out things that a class teaches you in a single lesson.

Do yourself a favor and take a class, it will be money well spent.

#8 ·
iagree
I started with a Skip Morris book and taught myself. You will pick up much more tips in a class or tying with other people.

Either way you go, welcome to your new obsession. Let me know if you have any questions about how to do this or that, I (and I'm sure many others) will be glad to help.

Trevor

#9 ·
Trevor said:
welcome to your new obsession.
Trevor
....how true. I'd like to edit my post to read:

My name is Chris, and I'm a fly-tier. It's been 3 days since I last tied a fly.

DON'T DO IT!!! STAY AWAY FROM ALL THOSE TYING MATERIAL RACKS!!!

IT COSTS COUNTLESS HOURS, DOLLARS, AND TIME AWAY FROM LOVED ONES!!!

YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO STOP!

Don't say I didn't warn you. :beathead: ... :beer1: .... :)

#11 ·
Yes take a class. It will cut down on the learning curve. I've been dabbling in it for a long time and have mucho dollars tied up in it(pun not intended). You can spend oodles of money on vises,feathers,chennille,hooks,many books. And just lately I've been able to ties up some different type of flies. I just learned how to tie up the Drunken Dragon. Now this is a mouthful and takes about 10 minutes to tie just one.

Jim... one who should of taken classes but thought he was too smart bawling:

#13 ·
Take a class or join a group of recreational tyers, buy as many materials as you can afford and experiment constantly.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - William Blake

TC

#18 ·
Hi, my name is Steve and I have been tying flies for 8 years.

A class is a great way to start but it is also a way to continue to expand your skills. I have taken a Steelhead class, a tube fly class from Les Johnson and a class on tying Flat Wing flies at the Avid Angler.

Another good way to learn is to get to know the staff at your local fly shop. Jimmy at Patrick's will often sit down at the vice and show me how to tie a new fly. Learning the proper techniques can save a lot of trial and error. You will also end up with a sample to help you remember the steps. The most important thing that I have learned from great fly tiers is that you never want to continue to tie on a fly with a mistake. Unwrap the mistake and start over. It takes a little bit more time, but it makes a major difference in the quality of your flies.

Have fun and get started. Don't be embarrassed to show your flies to others for critiques. Learning what you are doing right and how to improve what you are doing wrong can also significantly shorten the learning curve.

#21 ·
Tony said:
thats just cruel
tony
Sorry. In all seriousness, I'd never heard of this fly until just now. When I read the name, the first picture that popped in my head was of old kung-fu movies....you know, the ones where we get to see which style is better, the Drunken Monkey style -vs- the Praying Mantis. -of course everyone knows that the Praying Mantis, if done right, "no can defend" -immortal words of Mr. Myagi. :rofl: ptyd

#22 ·
May as well continue the threadjack... I never heard of it either, but I found this and it decribes the pattern in limited detail:

> Hi all,
> In reply to the "drunken dragon" fly pattern question by Mike, it was
> developed by
> William Servey who does work at Swede's as part of an on-going interest in
> using dyed
> yellow pheasant rump, peacock green chenille and glass beads, which are
> called
> rochelle beads.
> These are actually silver beads with a red overlay that produces an
> incredible effect
> when fished subsurface on sunny days. They actually "sparkle". They were
> fist
> introduced as an integral part of the "Olive Willy", another Servey genius
> that has
> produced some staggering results.
> The combination of soft hackle, red bead and peacock green coloring
produces
> some
> great responses from most rivers and lakes these patterns have been tried
> in. Some
> variations using red rabbit strips wing toppings are equally successful on
> overcast
> days.
> As Paul has correctly noted, the beads for the drunken dragon are slipped
on
> 30 lb.
> line, actually a RIO product called "slick shooter" line and the ends
> slightly melted.
> The body is totally peacock green chenille wrapped dragon fly nymph shape
> with the
> abdomen being 2/3 the body proportion and the head distinct, flat and
squat
> with the
> prominent protruding eyes. The pheasant rump dyed yellow is tied in as
legs.
> And yes, William would be more than happy to share his creations with
anyone
> who has
> an interest. I have learned much from him.
>
> Al Peterson
>

#23 ·
If you want to buy some they are about $30.00 a dozen. I was at AATF when he was doing his thing a few saturday's ago. It takes about 10 minutes to tie one up. I have tried a couple of them but it was only practice so I didn't have the red eyes,but they do have eyes. A very different way to tie up a fly. But interesting.

Jim

I did a couple of them and tried to take a picture to post but my camera skills are not what you would call good. Anybody else got any pictures of them fly's

#24 ·
I have one Drunken Dragon that William tied up at All About the Fly and will see if I can get a couple good pictures of it, if he doesn't mind it being posted.

I've got to sit down and try to tie a few, and I'm sure it will take me longer than 10 minutes to tie!

Bill

#26 ·
As for tying the Drunken Dragon you have to see it done in order to tie one up. Any picture you come up with won't do the fly justice. The abdomen is tied in a way that I have never seen before. I don't think that it can be explained.

Just a little useless info from one who doesn't tie worth a damn. :beathead:

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.