Big mayfly ID

Found this guy on a local stream a couple days ago. Definitely the biggest mayfly I have seen, its wings were about an inch tall and the thing was fairly fat.

Any idea what kind it is?

Attachments

Taxon

Staff member
Klindt-

Absolutely gorgeous photo! Your reel seat was visited by a Western Green Drake (Drunella grandis) female dun.

Thanks for the ID. I have not seen such bright yellow colors on a mayfly before. I have another pic that shows the top of bug which shows even more yellow. If you are curious let me know and I will add it to this thread.

Taxon

Staff member
klintd said:
Thanks for the ID. I have not seen such bright yellow colors on a mayfly before. I have another pic that shows the top of bug which shows even more yellow. If you are curious let me know and I will add it to this thread.
klintd-
You're welcome. Yes, would like to see the dorsal view. Incidentally, your insect was likely bright olive-green when it was freshly emerged, but within 30 minutes, it would have taken on the coloration shown in your photo. If you should attempt to fish a dun, you would want your imitation to have a bright olive-green body, as that's the color that trout see while the dun dries its wings in preparation for flight.

Great shot! You can even see the reflection in the reel seat. I found one of those the other day and was also wondering what kind of mayfly it was. Thanks for the ID guys.

One more picture of the same green drake. You can see her yellow coloring a bit better in this shot. Each time I got the camera within a couple inches of her she would put both front legs up (has left up in this pic) like she was trying to defend herself or attack the camera.

Attachments

Jim, I havent had a digital camera for very long and dont know a lot about them. I just leave it on point and shoot and hit macro. I have an 5mp sony camera, nothing special, not very expensive. However I got a giant memory card which allows me to take a lot of pictures. I probably took 15 pictures of this mayfly and 4 turned out nice. Sorry, not camera tips or tricks besides take a bunch of pictures and you are bound to get at least a couple good ones.

Thanks Klint; I too just mess around and am not even a good amateur photographer, but now and then I learn something new that makes me a little better, and over time I am getting a better percentage of shots that are what I wanted them to be. But I know enough that when I see someone else's shots I can usually recognize what makes them noteworthy.
Thanks for your reply.
Jim