16' nine weight rod?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fredaevans, Dec 10, 2006.

1. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Bob's suggesting between 600 to a 700 grain head (I like Scandi heads), and this sounds like it would be on the money. Given my 7wt 13-9 it rips with a 450 grain head (plus poly leader) this sounds 'intuitively right.' Crappy thing is I just purchased a 500 grain Airflo Scandi .. ah well, maybe 10 foot or so of T-14 will 'cure' this.:confused:

2. Rookiespey

Rookiespey Member

Hi Fred.
    I just e-mailed Meiser about the 16' 6/7/8 or 7/8/9. I'm very intrigued with the rod. How does it feel in regards to lightness in the hand. How many ounces is the rod?
    I also was wondering if this is a quick or moderate speed...I guess it would also depend on how you load it line wise.
    Thanks for any info.
    Ed

3. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Hey Fred,
    Mail that rod to me. I'll run it through it's paces.

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

MattMeister!

You Da Man!:thumb: Suspect it's going to be several more days before the Rogue is (even below the dam) at a flow stage that would make 'fly rod conditions' reasonable. 4,200+ cfs coming in to the dam and 3,900 going out. Add a little under 1500 cfs from the creeks (above the Dodge Bridge gauge) ...:rofl:

Considering we haven't had a drop of rain in several days, combined with REALLY cold weather ... clueless as to where all the waters coming from.:confused: Snow melt? Heck, it's barely getting above freezing level below 2500 feet during the day.

5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

The 'other' 16's by Bob.

Ed, did 'wiggle/whip' both rods (at least I think the two your talking about) about when I 'adopted' my 'new Baby.' The 7/8/9 is a fairly progressive rod action; I'd almost liken it to his 13.6 'FES' in action. The 6/7/8 (again, if we're talking the same rods) he described as his 'Cherry Salmon' rod for the far east market. This baby is as light as a feather in the hand with quite a (my opinion only) very light 'slow/traditional' flex action. You can really feel the rod action in your hands as you flex same. I'm sure with guides/butt section in place it will 'stiffen up' somewhat, but doubt it would be all that much.

The other is far more a 'progressive' light 'Euro' action blank.

Soooo, the question is (in my limited expertise) would be 'when' you expect to use one or the other. The 6/7/8 would be a hell of a dry line/very light tip 'summer flows' rod (want to light line "high-stick nymph" out 50-60 feet?); the other to handle heavier tips/flies/bigger water.

Hope that doesn't confuse your issue too much.:rolleyes:

Fred

6. Rookiespey

Rookiespey Member

Hi Fred.
    Just the info I was looking for. I want one for sure. I just have to figure out which one.
    Ed

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

This post (exchange) slide right by me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speykid
    I love the rod with a CND 10/11.

Sorry I missed this Speykid. But the CND 10/11 is one of the two lines Bob recommended to me for that particular rod. Just one of those combo's, 'numbers meaning nothing,' :confused: that apparently go together like warm toast and jam.

Fred