1st Timer's Swap?

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by cmtundra, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Sinktip

Sinktip Monty

Thanks for joining in Jim. I will try and tie one up for you on a geriatric hook so you can tie it on. ;) :D

Davy, I think you might just be an evil one!! You know the old saying "Just go with what got you here." LOL - Scotch and no water should do it.

BTW - My eyes hurt from staring at tiny little hooks. I think next time I will do something bigger.

Monty

Are we having fun yet!!

2. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

Glad mine are on #2 hooks. Hee-Hee.
    Started tonight....2 down. I think I'm gonna run out of a couple items though. Guess I'll have to re-stock on supplies this weekend. Davy, ya' got me motivated with your secret kicker.
    Has anyone besides me had the experience that kevlar thread doesn't make for the greatest heads? I can have a nice, cone shaped head but when I go to cinch down my whip finish a little bit...it warps itself all outta' shape. Argghhh....this is the "1st Timer's Swap" right? :beathead: I'll probably end up tying about 20 of these bad-boys and picking out the best ones for the swap. How many do we need now?

mmmmm, scotch...sounds real nice right about now. Never did care for the water anyway. Occasionally a little soda or ice, but usually neat...unlike my first two fly-heads. :beer1:

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Well I narrowed it down to two flies. Now I have to decide on which one. Will do them up on size 12 hooks. Can knock them out in a day if I get in the mood.

Jim

4. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

Jim, why fret? Just tie both, you'll get no argument here! ;) Thanks for chippin' in for this charity case...can't wait to see what you're gonna tie!

5. Davy

Davy Active Member

Hmmmm :hmmm: where do I start?

:ray1: ah your heads ! make sure the thread wraps on the head are nice,neat and very tight before/or prior to your whip finish--that should cure the "cinching", also make your whip finish the last few wraps of the head at the bottom as well. ( that make any sense at all?= it's early and ,,,,,,,?) :thumb:

glad to hear the little surprise motivated the team, but it was offered more from a selfish viewpoint; I desired time to see and dress all the different things you are throwing at me all at once --LOL :D :D

I see the rain is coming down , the air smells so sweet- unlike in Yakima right now where the air I understand is a little "ashy".I am informing you all of this because you all are supposed to be inside "tying" and not out smelling the air. - see, evil I am. :rofl:

I do like the #2 hook element-atleast my eyes like the idea.

13 flies, April 10

We are having fun, yeap. :thumb: I bet Tanners just whistling as he walks knowing his are done and daddy still has yet to put thread on a hook. ;)

Monique? No dinner for Monty till 3 R in the bag ,ok ? :rolleyes:

atomic dog has informed us he is tying the famous "glowing" ribbed hares ear for us. Should be a real "hot" fly- but future dressings could prove to be quite deformed.

I will be out of touch for a few days again ,dangit, so I will update next week late.

thats the latest news from swap central.

TL/ davy

6. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

"ah your heads ! make sure the thread wraps on the head are nice,neat and very tight before/or prior to your whip finish--that should cure the "cinching", also make your whip finish the last few wraps of the head at the bottom as well. ( that make any sense at all?= it's early and ,,,,,,,?) "

Yeah, I think that makes sense. I only have this problem with the kevlar thread, I think because it's so slick. The upper part of the "cone" slides easily down to the lower, narrower part of the "cone" head...if that makes sense. I usually whip finish somewhere around the middle of my head, maybe I'll try finishing it right by the hook eye....or maybe just use a different thread. I only like the kevlar because it's strong as hades & has never broken on me.

7. Davy

Davy Active Member

Ok, hard to say without watching,might try Danville 6/0, it tyes well I think.Just take a big shank and make practice wraps on it until your comfortable with it's strength.

If your tying a #2 thingamajigggy then you might try monocord 3/0 even.

cheers :thumb:

davy

8. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

See the post by Hutch in the main forum about the trout he caught on the Yakima. While I have no proof, I have my suspicions that the fish may have tried to eat one of my flies in the past. :rofl:

9. John James

John James New Member

I am tying #18 Griffiths Gnats and hope to finnish next monday. Would be sooner but I am busy tying for a 3 day trip over to the Yakima to try out my new redington 9' 5 weight :cool:

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Well I finally settled on a fly. It will be a green rockworm. With a two tone woven green body with a black bead head with a black collar of Ostrich(sp) Done up on a curved/hump hook size 12. I have two done and can say they look pretty nice. This is saying a lot for unsteady hands. If I feell happy with that I might try a woven blood worm on the same hook. 14 flies each, huh?

Jim

11. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Well I have three done thus far. I only have a limited amount of time at night. It's right after I get the twins asleep and when I fall asleep. Thats about a time span of 30 min. Well I better stop typing and start tying. :eek:

12. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Hopefully will have mine finished tonight, can I get an address to send them to? :)

-I

13. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

Sure, I'll send you the address....as soon as my flies are done & in the mail :p :p

Competition can be a real bitch eh? :rofl: Just kidding. I'll PM it to ya....and I thought I might be 1st.

I've got 8 done, however, I've changed flies. I decided to go with something more traditional & something I haven't tied before.......so my new fly for the swap will be a #16 Elk Hair Caddis -as long as the honorable swapmeister has no problems with that.

Besides, I want to see if Davy Earl can tie an Elk Hair Caddis....you see I have a sneaking suspiscion that he doesn't remember how to tie anything without junglecock cheek or feathers from some other rare, almost certainly near extinction, tropical bird species! :rofl: :rofl: uhhh....kidding of course.
    :hmmm: ....hmmmm....a junglecock caddis? .....I may be onto something. :hmmm:

14. hedburner

hedburner Member

Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Wow everyone's been kicking my but here. But then I've had a killer case of the flu for the last week. Still feel like crap, but figured I'll tie a little emerger that has always worked good on lowland lakes. :(

15. Davy

Davy Active Member

what you need is one of Atomic Dog's flys- I understand they will kill the flu bug- or pretty much anything else alive and kickin. :cool:

:beer2: Glad you are comin out of it, cause my mailbox has been empty so far, LOL- cept for the water and electric bill, those are no fun though.(I leave em in there and let the wife find them) :thumb: :thumb:

Oh good, more little stuff..I suppose it's a #34 realistic parachute thorax emphremella emerger as well ??... I'll get out the microscope slides and viles to store you and Sinktips flys in. :( :( :( :( :( J/K

Can't you do a like a #4/0 Dragonfly emerger or something? does it have to be "little"?

Haven't you all heard? , they actually make big hooks too. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Some of the team is tying on 2's and Tanner is really snugglin up to the swapmeisters good side by tying on a #8 I think. smart boy !

:) J/K about all the above, you know. Tye what you like. :)
    Geiger counter at the ready

davy