2 Fly Pattern Top-water Set-up?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

I have an un-scientific theory about that because I have on many occasions had the same thing happen to me.

I think the fish that go after the knot think it is a food source. Being competitive behavior or instinct(or what ever you call it), the fish thinks it is stealing the meal from the smaller fish(Fly ).

I've also experimented with a 2 fly set up because of that. Although now I coat my knot with "UV Knot Sence", now I have less drag and wake(do to a bear knot) that the fish goes for my fly now.

2. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

Roger, I have to ask what general area are you finding "action for adult coho and large sea-run cutthroat has been spectacular"? Not looking for a rock, just that I have not heard of anyone having much more than spotty success, surface, shallow, or deep?

Sounds like you are fishing from a boat are you bucktailing to find fish and then casting too them?

3. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

The only input I'd have is on the leader formula. I was having trouble turning over the wind resistant surface flies, so built a new set up that worked well yesterday. I used 3 ft 30# chameleon for the butt section for the stiffness, then down to 2' 20# Maxima, green or clear, didn't matter, 2' of 15#, 2' 12#, then 18" of 2x fluorocarbon. The final tippet disappears, as it sinks a little. I've gone to a double uni knot over blood knots, as I have trouble flattening the material when I connect mono to fluoro. Each knot is coated with Loon UV Knot Sense. I can shape the beads of "glue" in the basement, then go outside in the sun, and all the connections harden immediatley.

I'm sure there's room for fine tuning the leader formula, but this worked better than what I've been using.

4. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Floatinghat:

I was blessed to be able to retire almost 20 years ago. Since then I have fly fished almost exclusively year-around on Puget Sound and have "paid my dues". There are hundreds and hundreds of good fishing spots on Puget Sound. The key to find these locations is to understand tidal current and bottom structure/type situations which are conducive to hold/attract sea-run cutthroat and salmon plus the yearly cycle of food sources for these fish.

When I first started fly fishing on Puget Sound, I would sometimes troll to locate fish. Now, I don't troll since I enjoy so much the rhythmic motion of fly casting and know the right conditions that normally will hold fish.

Roger

5. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

Roger, I understand the paying the dues, I've been there with steelhead. I was fortunate enough to learn a couple of rivers well enough to expect a couple of sold grabs summer or winter. That's why I wasn't asking for specifics more a general area 9, 10 or 11 but I understand your reluctance.

6. troutingham

troutingham Member

Popper Dropper

7. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Roger -
    From my experience with double hookups while trout fishing, I would add that the likelihood of ever landing two fish with a setup where the point fly is tied off the bend in the hook of the lead fly, is remote.

I presume you are fishing with barbless hooks, as I do trout fishing. Under these circumstances, any sharp pull from the fish on the point fly will pull the fly out of the fish on the lead fly. I've had several double hookups while trout fishing and have only landed the fish on the point fly each time. If you really want to try to land both fish (whether in the salt or fresh water), you will need a set up where both flies come off the leader with separate tippets. As Curt pointed out, this arrangement is much more prone to tangling.

Dick