2 piece vs. 4 piece rods

I disagree. What if someone WANTS a 2 piece rod.

I think the customer should have a choice. If you want to use a 4 piece rod, do so by all means. But don't tell me what I should do.
But then again, the customer can vote with his wallet.

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
I really like the idea of a 2-piece rod I can leave strung up with line and a reel in a case. Then when fishing time comes I just take it out of the case and put the rod together. Unfortunately my trunk doesn't fit a 55" tube so it would sit in my back seat. 3 and 4 piece rods live in my trunk most of the year.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
When I was a kid bamboo rods came in two piece. Only way to get a 3 piece was break your rod. Why would someone want to relive what was a black period in their childhood and procure a multi-piece rod. Three, four or five sections might stir up "dust bunnies" of a person's past.

Two is the right way, two is the manly way.

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
I think the customer should have a choice. If you want to use a 4 piece rod, do so by all means. But don't tell me what I should do.
Noble sentiment, but the reality is that if the manufacturer decides there isn't a big enough market for 2-piece rods to make it worth his time and money to keep making them, then you don't get a choice, no matter how much you think you deserve one.

K

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Noble sentiment, but the reality is that if the manufacturer decides there isn't a big enough market for 2-piece rods to make it worth his time and money to keep making them, then you don't get a choice, no matter how much you think you deserve one.

K
This is why all the older fly fishers have two piece rods. My 8wt and my 3wt and my 5wt are two piece rods and I do fish them. I also have a 4wt that is 2 piece.

K
That is when I vote with my wallet. I would bet a great steak dinner that I could find a very competent rod builder that would build me a very nice 2 piece rod for the price of some these commercial four piece rods.

As far as fit and trunk space, if it don't fit, well use a 4 piece if that suits your need. It ain't rocket science you know. Most cars that I have seen in the US will allow a 2 piece rod to fit and most have directional signals that a lot of folks are not aware of. It is a matter of preference.

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
That is when I vote with my wallet. I would bet a great steak dinner that I could find a very competent rod builder that would build me a very nice 2 piece rod for the price of some these commercial four piece.
Absolutely! The only problem with your strategy to have someone wrap a 2-piece custom rod for you is the likelihood that over time, finding a 2-piece blank will become increasingly just as difficult as finding a 2-piece factory rod.

K

4 piece all the way. There is no reason for anyone to ever buy a two piece rod in the 21st Century. 2 piece rods are not better.
This is the statement that I was making reference to in an earlier post. There is a valid reason for a person to purchase a 2 piece rod.
They like them. There is also a valid reason for someone to purchase a three or four piece rod. They like them.

Apparently the commercial rod manufacturing companies have found that their market is in 4 piece rods. So be it. But that does not mean that I have to buy them. I am fortunate enough to own enough 2 piece rods to last my lifetime. That said, should I find I need another, I will need to decide if I want to purchase a rod with more than 2 sections or not. I would probably look elsewhere. Others probably would not.

I stand by my original statement that the customer should have the choice