2 weeks of vacation....where should i go????

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by chicharella, Oct 23, 2001.

1. chicharella

chicharella New Member

Hey there. I have 2 weeks of "use or lose" vacation to burn and I can't figure out where to go. I fish the Snoq. and the Yak, but I'd like to take a little road trip. I can't afford to go to any exotic locales unfortunately. Any ideas? It's gettin pretty cold out so I don't think camping is too feasible. I might have to go to Northern Cal. for work so I might be able to do something down in that part of the country.

Oh, and I'm still pretty bad (or just unlucky???) so keep that in mind. Thanks for your help.

-matt
    matt_cicciarella@idx.com

2. steve

steve New Member

What part of No. Cal? I used to live down there. The stripper season in the CA delta should be coming on pretty soon. You might try Frank's track out near Bethel Island. There's also really good largemouth bass fishing in the delta, and they take flies pretty aggressively. Depending on where you are you might contact the orvis shop in San Francisco, they could probably steer you to some good spots down there. Good luck.
    -Steve

3. ray helaers

ray helaers Active Member

The Bend, OR area gives you access to the Deschutes, the Metolius, a small spring creek called the Fall, and a LOT of GREAT lake fishing. It's getting kind of late in the season and many of the lakes might close on the 31st (check the OR regs), but if you can go now, it would be a good option.

I believe this is also the time to be on the Grande Ronde for steelhead, but that's a camping show I think.

If you're going to CA anyway, it seems like you could have a good time using two weeks to work your way down there, catching a lot of good water, the Bend area as mentioned above, the Umpqua, Klamath Lake area, Upper Sacramento drainage (the Sac, McCloud, Pit, Fall Rivers, Hat Creek), Oregon/NorCal coast, SF Bay stripers etc.

Have fun.

4. Jonduke

Jonduke New Member

I would probably go over to the Olympis Peninsula, for a vaiety of fish. My favorite over there is sea-run cutthroat, which aren not to difficult to catch. I won't tell you my secret cutthroat spots, but any small stream that runs into the Straight Of Juan de Fuca or the Coast can be good. Also, larger rivers liek the Calawah, Dickey, Salmon, and Clearwater can be real good too. I usually just fish either in the estuaries, or in really slow water up a creek. Fishing standard wet flies, my favorite being a Knudson Spider, dead drift or stripping it in, can be dynamite. Also, salmon can be caught in the Hoh or the Solduc or Queets, and a few other rivers, bu check regs carefully. In November, for salmon I would probably focus on the East Peninsula, like chums in Hood Canal and the Satsop River. If you like resident trout, there might be some good possibilities, but you'll either have to fish streams before the 31st of October, or find a year-round lake. Hope this helps a bit-