$20 Roof Rack for Pontoon

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Ed Call, Feb 22, 2009.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I hate ratchet straps.:(

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not but if you are traveling over any passes with your boat strapped to the top of your rig and it is inflated you stand the chance of exploding your toons when going up.bawling:

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Thanks KerryS, it has and I would plan on traveling with them only partially inflated in those cases. Hopefully when I get my you know what together I'll actually be able to easily strap the frame to the rack and the level of air in the toons will be less significant. For long journeys I'll break it all down and toss it inside the back of my rig too.

3. johnnyrockfish

johnnyrockfish Member

Looks pretty good. How do you have the conduit clamps secured to the car rack? Those seem like the weak point to me since they will be subject to a lot of repeated stresses from wind on the toons. Doubling them would stiffen them up considerably. Strapping/tying the whole thing to the frame seems like a good idea no matter how sturdy the rack.

JR

4. Ed Call

JRF, thanks for the input too. Hope you've been catching lots of local fish. Right now I have some conduit clamps holding the rack to the inlaid rails of the roof. I also attach the two front D rings on the pontoon to my tow eyes on the front so that there is not only bearing of load to the rack but to the frame too.

5. johnnyrockfish

johnnyrockfish Member

I'd love to check out your pontoon boat sometime. Just to get out and drift the rivers sounds awesome even if the catching ain't so hot. I'm considering a raft so I can take the family on floats too.

Cheers,
    JR

6. Ed Call

So let's plan a float. I'm good for anything that is not highly technical, I need more time outside and less time in a cubicle with recycled air.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I like ratchet straps Kerry. I use them professionally and personally. Work fine on heavy loads, and light lots. Like knowing my load is locked in.

And, I never take it over the pass. If I have an inflatable on a trailer or my roof, it's deflated and tubes in the vehicle. Just latch the frame to the roof.

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Yeah, I think I had a bad experience with the ratchet straps, can't rememeber. I know the ratchets themselves always need room to work that room isn't always available. I like to be able to grab the strap, yank it tight and go. I think I got some ratchets in the shop someplace, maybe I will give them another try.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Kerry, you need to buy some quality ones. They have some that are just too small of mechanisms to work safely. Can't remember where I got my last set, but they are actually oversized for big hands (like mine) and ratchet nicely. Some of those smaller/cheaper ones seem to chincy to me. Keep thinking I got them at walmart. Little more expensive, but they work pretty good.

10. Ed Call

I got a four pack of ratchet straps with large easy to use mechanism. I got them from Wal-Mart, they were the better of the options they carried but were still not very expensive. They are 14' long and I've used them to hold down a lot of things, largest was a heavy as heck roll top fly tying desk that was on my cargo platform behind my rig. They worked great.

11. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

don't throw the ratchet over and brake a window {or a person}. ive done it and had it done to me