Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

2006-07 Beginner/Intermediate Anti-Shack Nasty Marathon Fly Swap

Swap 
18K views 216 replies 19 participants last post by  Ron Eagle Elk 
#1 ·
This swap is open to all tyers that have 10 years experience tying or less. As it is a marathon swap, it does require a bit more of a commitment than usual. There will be a monthly swap during the months of October, November, January, February, March, and April. If you sign up for the swap, you are signing up for all of them. Notice that we are taking a break for December. Everyone usually gets pretty busy with the holidays. Instead of tying a mess of swap flies that month we'll do a one fly per swapper tying contest, theme to be announced later, with prizes for 1st, 2d and 3d places.

The flies we'll be tying each month are listed below.

October - Nymphs
November - Wet Flies
December - Tying Contest
January - Streamers
February - Dries
March - Terrestrials
April - Cripples/Emergers

The swap is limited to 12 tiers, first 12 are in, any after that can be put on a call list in case anyone has to drop out. Those things do happen. Everyone will send in a set of 12 flies each month, that way you get one of your own back to make a complete swap set. As usual I will be tying a bonus fly for each category so you'll be getting 13 flies a month!

The first set of flies will be due to me not later than October 31st and on the last day of every swap month after that. That is an "in my hand" date, not an "in the mail" date. Mail your flies in a crush proof container (Altoids tins work well, as do small Plano compartmented boxes) with each fly toe tagged with your name (Screen Name and Real Name) and the name of the fly. You can include the recipe on the toe tag if you wish, or supply it on the bulletin board. Also include a SASE or postage for return shipping. It's also a good idea to put your name and mailing address on your container in case the post office has a malfunction and your container gets separated from the envelope.

A lot of the swap communication is done by e-mail so make sure I get your e-mail addy.

I'll be photographing the flies each month and posting them on the site in the Fly Swaps Section.

This is a great way to improve tying skills and fill your boxes for the next season as well.

Sign up will stay open until we have the swap filled at 12 or October 5th, whichever comes around first.

Here's my e-mail and snail mail addy.

Ron Eagle Elk
roneagleelk@comcast.net
8717 Whitewood Loop SE
Yelm, WA 98597

1. Mark Ritari - .
2. Anyfish* - Emergers are in.
3. Roadhog* Emergers are in-.
4. Ned and Jane* - Emergers are in.
5. James Mello - .
6. DDS - Emergers are in.

See less See more
#4 ·
Shaw MD and the other guy, your both in, in fact you have the first two slots.

We get raw beginners to some pretty experienced intermediate tiers in this swap, and every one is welcome. Great way to improve your tying skills.

REE

#5 ·
Looks like Shawn had to drop out due to an out of state commitment. So far it's just my buddy, I 1url<0r J00. C'mon folks, let's fill this puppy up.

REE

#7 ·
#12 ·
Hey Folks,

I'm leaving in the morning to go hassle some trout on the Selway and Lochsa. Won't be back till October 1st. See ya when I get back.

REE

#17 ·
Ron, I got excited when I saw that you are running the marathon fly swap again. I am afraid that I have a lot of things happening in my life right now and I don’t think that I will have the time to do the swap justice.

I had a lot of fun with it last year and learned a ton. For anybody that is new to tying, but afraid that you are not good enough, I received nothing but support from Ron and the other guys last year, learned a lot and received a bunch of really cool flies. If you want to get better at tying and have a bit of time to devote to it I would highly recommend joining. Just look at the title of the swap, BEGINNER/Intermediate Anti-Shack Nasty Marathon Fly Swap.

Thanks again for running the swap last year Ron. I hope I can catch next years.

Tom G

#19 ·
Hey Folks,

Back from Idaho. The fishing was great, several 20 fish days. Weather was beautiful, nice people, great cabin. Who could ask for better? Did manage to slip on a snot rock and mangle my left wrist, but I could still cast and double haul, no problem.

By my count we have 9 signed up for this years swap, still room for one more.

No need to let anyone know what your tying each month, just tie them up and send them in. If a couple people tie the same fly, there are always differences between tiers, maybe you'll learn something new.

Ned and Jane, are you two tag teaming the swap? No problem either way

To all the folks who signed up while I was gone, welcome to the madness.

Now get them scissors snipping, and bobbins spinning, Halloween will be here before ya know it.

REE

#23 ·
iagree This smiley just seemed appropriate.

I too have gotten a jump on my flies (8 down, 4 to go) so as not to conflict with deer season.

The ironic part is that I too am tying Bloody Mary Bead Heads (sz 12). Well, at least we aren't tying the same size:beer2:

Hope all is well,
Ned

#24 ·
Dave, Sorry Buddy. We had a cut off date of October 5th.

Guys, your tying 9 flies this month, nymphs. My mail box is feeling lonely out there. Let's fill that pig up.

REE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.