Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

2010 Big Brown Contest

13K views 86 replies 35 participants last post by  junkie 
#1 ·
2010 Big Brown Contest Updated 2/7

Thought it'd be fun to start a friendly competition to see who can stretch the tape across the biggest washington stillwater brown of 2010.

Rules:

1) Mr Walter T. Brown must be safely released and the photo must depict its fair treatment. NO hand-in-gill/fish-on-stringer/slab-on-rocks shots accepted.

2) Use a tape. I dont wanna have to call BS when you long arm a 16" brown and call it 22". In the event your photo to claimed size ratio is a bit sketchy, said photo will be reviewed by a panel to evaluate authenticity.

3) No private lakes. No ponds. I almost feel seeps in general dont count. Since I bet money Kevin J Burnham has a pet brown in some secret seeps lake that he's been nurturing the past few years. :) Leave him alone Kevin. Try dry falls!

4) Length is the only required measurement but in the event of a tie (ie two 26" browns) the photo will again go before the panel and a winner announced.

5) Applicants must be a current member of WFF.com

6) To submit an entry, email the photo and measurements to beausl@live.com and I will update this posting with the top 5.

7) Contest starts today 1/12 and will run through 12/31

The winner will be awarded prizes (to be announced) and bragging rights.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

1st Place goes to Scott Moran and his 25+" Lenice Brown!... here's the story:

"Here is one for you.
My tape on my stripping basket stops at 24" and this bad boy was
bigger by about 2". Took all I had to hold him and was fishing alone
so had to flag down a witness to this.
Lake Lenice back in April. Size 20 brassie. Petted him nicely and
watched him swim away in awe. Was extra special as I had been
specificlly targeting browns there for three days and nights. This one
I saw and stalked in the shallows but thought it was just another big
bow.
I was wrong :)

Scotty"

2nd Place goes to Triploidjunkie

24.5" colored up brownie caught on the eastside in mid October.

Hey Sean,

I wasn't paying much attention to the Big Brown contest (I never win contests) until I caught this Pass Lake Brown that almost ran me into my backing, twice. Laid against the tape in the seam of my net he came to just over 23". My cheesy little pocket scale told me the fish was around 3 lbs. (but I don't stand by that).

Caught on a sunny April 11th, in the shallows on Pass Lake's popular main point (just look for all the float tubes) during a mayfly hatch, on a size 14 grizzly parachute adams with a dull orange CDC wing post. Seemed like it took me ten minutes to bring it in with my 5wt setup and 5x leader/tippet. I may have actually whooped.

Cheers,

MrLucky

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

4th Place --- goes to stratocaster! here the story:

Hey Sean,
First off, THIS IS NOT MY FISH. I'm sending on behalf of Roy (stratocaster on WFF). Roy took the fish, I took the picture. Fish is a full "22, taken at Pass tonight. I watched Roy work his ass off for about 4 hours without so much as a strike, then in an instant, KABOOM. Saw the water explode about 30ft in front of him...you know the rest. Fish takes over and tows Roy out to sea. Roy gives chase, kicking like mad and running out of breath to keep up. Fish casually meanders along the bottom taking its own sweet time. After lots of following around, and even more patience, Roy scoops said fatty into a bearhug...his net is a bit small for this game (he'll be shopping for a bigger one this week). So congrats to Roy who, for now, wears yellow atop the Sean Beauchamp 2010 Big Brown Contest podium.

Later,
Tim (Ford_Fenders)

5th Place goes to jesse calderon

thick 20" streamer eatin pass brown.

6th Place held down by Ceviche's 20" pass brown

See less See more
#38 ·
The tricky part is minimizing the time a fish spends out of the water when practicing C&R. It was my haste that resulted in a lousy photo of a Pass Lake trout. Sorry gang.

The year's just begun, so it doesn't bug me to strike my first submission. Catch that Sean? I think I'd rather risk losing while striving towards a clean win.

At least I was able to collectively thumb my nose at everyone. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Tight Lines, Everyone!!!
--Dave E.

#41 ·
i trust dave. if he called out 20" i'll believe him. but it dont matter either way. cause when im done chasing steelhead i'll be locking down the top 5 slots in short order! :clown:

you guys better quit whining and start casting. cause once the rivers close 5th place will be a 2 footer!

#47 ·
So this thread started back three weeks ago, and no one (except myself) has posted a picture of a brown yet? And all that belly-aching? Sheee-ite! What a bunch of meow-meows! If I knew then what I know now, I would have knocked a couple of inches of that Pass Lake brown I caught and kept it in the running. I know I'm going to jinx myself, but I'm gonna say it right now: I'm going fishing tomorrow.

#53 ·
AKPM, is that some trash talking right there? Must be a Saints v Colts testosterone thing? Let's see that Big Brown Trout of yours already if it is so damn easy...when will you be in our neck of the woods? Maybe we can get a film crew ready for your show.;)

#54 ·
Well I've only ever fished waters with brown trout for about 6 hours in my life, but I think I got pass lake figured out. I just didn't have the right flies last time ;)

As for making it down to America, the traveling shitshow will take place the third week of march and then september, october and november. Its gonna be a good summer, I can feel it.

#57 ·
Good to see people stepping up. The fish gods could have been kinder. Last outing produced a strong LDR, either the Loch Ness Monster of browns or an otter ripped me off, and a thick, spotted 15" brown in the 11th hour.

Better luck next time. At least the trout were where I thought they were.

--Dave E.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.