2011 Lowland Lakes Opener

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by kingpuck, Apr 28, 2011.

1. kingpuck

kingpuck new to fly fishing but loving every minute of it

One of my favorite parts of opening day is helping out at the boat launch. While I'm not about to drive someone's rig its nice to help push people out and do what I can to try and help however I'm able. Those little kids squeals are the high point. Cracks us up every year. That little 2 year old catching their fish is more fun than catching one myself. Don't really care for the crowds but dad does the hard stuff of driving. We've been going 10 years now and its just that one day out of the year where father and son just go play. Highlight of the year.

2. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

March 1 is a early opener for alot of lakes in the Basin and other spots. Western wa has way to many lales that are open year round , but get stocked in late march april etc then are cleaned out by may.

3. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I think I'll head to Erie up by Anacortes but only because my mother in law lives close by and when my 4 year old is done catching fish for the first time on his very own fly rod (not to be confused with catching fish for the first time) I can drop him off and head back to the lake to do some independent fishing.

Otherwise I imagine I would hit Ki or Howard in Snohomish.

Ira..

4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I quit doing openning day the year Leonards tavern on lake goodwin closed, nothing was more fun that to drag the boat out to Leonards tavern at midnight have a beer the go the boat launch at lake ki and fish til 3 or 4 in the morning and leave before the crowd arrived and the hit the fishermans breakfast at the luthern church on the way home!!
    Those were the days , Leonards is long gone , And nobody has a fishermans breakfast for a fund raiser anymore. It's a damm shame !!!

5. kingpuck

kingpuck new to fly fishing but loving every minute of it

I stand corrected on the opener date. Didn't think about the fact not everything is on the same time frame. Sorry about that.

6. Jeff Studebaker

Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

Driving past my local lake to check out the mayhem, when a man ran out in front of my car with his grandson in tow. Found out our SUV can go from 35 to 0 pretty darn quick when it wants to.

Probably too much to hope that they'll take their near death experience as a lesson in catch & release.

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I didn't make it to any put and take lakes today. Did drive by one of the year round lakes near by that was stocked last week and there was 5 cars there. Five! Amazing!

8. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I checked on the 3 lakes I wanted to fish on late Friday and all were frozen. So it's guaranteed that they didn't get over run by the masses on Sat. Normally I go out on the opener and just drive around and talk to people at the put-ins but seldom do any actual fishing. With gas at $4.05 this year I'll use the fuel for a road trip on Wed. instead. The weather looks good and we haven't had any snow since Thursday. Things are looking up!

Ive

9. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Worked all day yesterday, as part of my plan to avoid the crowds and keep my customers happy. Surf looking pretty good this morning, so that's where my energies will be playing! And its only 7 miles to the break, unless I surf somewhere down the beach closer to my place, in keeping with my plan to avoid the crowds. (The Jetty on any Sunday is usually crowded, but it will be really packed today).
    Wednesday is looking good for my favorite local lake, although I'm also eyeing Tuesday late afternoon. Its only a 78 mile R.T.

10. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I volunteered to count fish for WDFW. What a thrill.... but, I did my part. It's good to get the local fish biologist on the "same page" as us fly fishers.

11. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

My boys and I spent Friday night with my friend who lives on Bosworth. I was going to launch my boat Friday night but the gate was closed. Ended up launching about 9:00 am Sat without waiting. Pulled it out about 4:00pm and my trailer was the only one left at the launch. My boys caught some fish with power bait. My friend and I went out in the boat for about an hour in the afternoon and caught 8 inchers on every cast with an elk hair caddis. I was surprised at the small crowds.

12. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Just got back from DF and there was NOBODY there !!!

13. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Got out to Pine lake in Sammamish yesterday from 5:30pm-8pm. Lovely day on the lake in a pontoon. The dock was full like normal. caught and released about 25-30 fish. nothing larger than 12". i'm guessing i lost around 15-20 others. Some of the small ones fought really really hard!

I totally agree with kingpuck; it's all about the young kids yelling about getting their first fish. It's pretty funny when they try to convince their dad to bring home the 6" fish to show mom their "HUGE FISH!". :) Those days for me weren't really that long ago. haha

14. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

You got SKUNKED on McMurray on opening day?!

Damn.

15. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

That wouldn't have been too difficult this year... it was pretty bad. Fish checkers were counting just over a fish per person i believe. Lots of people were coming up empty handed. I had to really put some work in to get the fish I caught. In years past I've caught them as fast as I can put my line in the water. I've noticed the results are correlated to water temps and visibility. When the water is cold and turbid on the opener the fishing has been poor. I guess other lakes near by were the same way this year. Should be good once it warms up though.