Swap 2013 Crane fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by riseform, Nov 26, 2012.

1. riseform

riseform Active Member

Mini Yak report for October. Who needs October caddis?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Patrick Gould likes this.
  2. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

I do

Attached Files:

3. riseform

riseform Active Member

Yeah yeah, I saw that in your gallery recently, nice fish. I just wanted to show some love for our crane flies.

I thought I'd packed all the swap flies in my box sometime last spring. Was surprised to open my fly box this weekend on the river to find my brain was mistaken and I only had my patterns. I fished the Quigley exclusively Sat evening and Sunday morning and fell in love with the pattern (hadn't fished it before). In deep runs with no visible rising fish it pulled up nice fish that rose slowly but without hesitation and sucked in the fly. Saw the biggest green head I've ever seen on the Yak rise up and nudge the fly forward, never to rise again. I thought I timed my lift of the rod well, but I guess not. In faster water it skated beautifully and pulled up a lot of smaller (9-10 inch fish, last photo).

Despite thinking the Seahawks game would slow river traffic, Sunday was pretty crowded. It turned out well as I had to explore new stretches of water which produced. Every other angler I saw was fishing with a thingamabobber. It's been my Yakima Fall experience that you can stimulate fish to rise even when there is no surface activity.

4. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Me too and seems like big flies like Crane Flies or October Caddis seem to do the trick

5. riseform

riseform Active Member

Fished yesterday and remembered the swap flies this time. Tougher day for dries with bright sunshine and not a lot of fish willing to rise. Before I gave up and went subsurface, I was able to hook up with Steeli's pattern (sorry no pic) and Hans' Cranefly CDC & Elk (so what if he wasn't in the swap!). Both look good on the water and could function as a crane fly or Oct caddis imitation.

For any interested, here's Hans' pattern:
    http://www.danica.com/flytier/hweilenmann/cranefly_cdcelk.htm