2013 Salmon

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

A great detailed report and awesome pictures! Thanks for that!!! :)

Nick Clayton likes this.
  2. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Yes, whatever you do, do not tickle the jelly from below, that danger is best summed as jelly dentata, the teeth of the jelly . Sometimes when they're shallow like that you just have to rub the jelly a little, in a small circular motion, very lightly, from above. The jelly will be mesmerized, no hook and line needed. Sorta like tickling trout.

great writeup Nick, sounds like a hell of a summer and fall!

Nick Clayton likes this.
  3. Dave Boyle

Dave Boyle Active Member

Wow!!!

Thank you Nick for a great read and it was just packed full of great info, learning and observations. Great pics too, the post of the yr for me. Have a like from me but it doesn't do this justice. A really great post.

Dave

Nick Clayton likes this.
  4. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

BTW, that stripping finger guard looks like something pretty questionable for a fly fishing forum if you don't know what it is! haha Hints at a different meaning to "strip set". :eek:

Gobstopper likes this.
  5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Thanks for all the kind words all. Unfortunately I woke up sick as all get out. I'd rather go to the beach than the doctor. Ugh.

Haha Matt, good point. But it would be just the ticket for rubbing the jelly.

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Ah Nick, great report and summary of your season chasing coho! As I said before, I nominate you for the "most successful coho fly fisherman" for the season! That looks like a great boat. You will certainly have lots of fun in that!

Nick Clayton likes this.
  7. Dipnet

Oh man, I nearly hit the "Report" link when I read this!!! :D;):D

Nick Clayton likes this.
  8. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Great post Nick, and great season too !!!! Way to go...

Nick Clayton likes this.
  9. Nick Clayton

I know for a fact that there were many more successful fisherman than me this year. As much as I feel my game grew this year, there is so much more to learn. That's what I love most about this sport- There is no such thing as mastering it.

More than anything I wanted to share some of the stuff that worked for me this season, and to share some of my enjoyment with you all. So many folks on this forum have contributed to my season in one way or another, I really just wanted to share that joy.

Also, for as much as I have learned from this forum I am always hoping to help someone else learn a thing or two along the way. The flat out truth is that I never would have gotten going in this saltwater game without the folks on this forum. I wanted to get into beach fishing for quite a while before actually giving it a go. The reason it took me so long to get into it is simple... intimidation. Puget Sound is a huge body of water, especially when you're standing on the shore holding a 6 wt wondering where the hell to start. It was the kindess and knowledge of the good folks on this forum that helped me slowly start putting the pieces of the puzzle together. My biggest hope is that I can repay some of that generosity by helping anyone else trying to learn this great sport by sharing what I have learned along the way.

The amount of experience and knowledge around here is truly amazing. There are guys who have been doing this for FAR longer than I, and who could fish circles around me. No doubt about it. I have a HUGE amount of respect for many of the fine folks on this board. In my eyes I'll forever be trying to attain that level. I doubt I will, but it is fun as hell trying!!

Speyrod GB and DimeBrite like this.
  10. Dipnet

Amen, brother! :)

11. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Dear Chris,

It is time to designate the quadruple like button for posts such as these!

Nick, I tremendously enjoyed my salty trips with you this year and that intimidation factor is hard core real. Fishing with you allowed me to over come some of that fear, but worst of all now I fear that this may distract me from my other fly fishing love of stillwater and steelhead and tropical bones and ahh crap it doesn't matter bring on the beach fishing I want it all.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  12. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Thank you. Your season review give me hope for next year . I'm not done yet as I'm still after that big hen.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  13. Nick Clayton

John, thank you for your service to our country. Sacrificing time on the water is just a drop in the bucket compared to other sacrifices you and fellow service men and women make constantly.

When you do get some time to fish in the future I'd be honored to fish with you.

14. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

Thanks for the great recap, Nick! It inspires me to try to progress next year. This was my first year flyfishing the salt and my first year back flyfishing period after about a 13 year absence. I did not have a great first season, but managed to land 4 salmon over about 7 trips. I will be studying your posts (as well as from all the other gurus) and tying flies during the offseason. I truly appreciate the wealth of information that this forum offers!

15. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

That sounds like a pretty great first season to me! I fished (admittedly half-a$$ed) for two seasons without catching a salmon. You have a great start and there will be plenty more to follow.

Cuttbow82 likes this.