2013 Yellowstone Angler Wader Shootout

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by miyawaki, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

I picked up a pair of Redington Sonic zip-front from WatersWest (super guys) last October, have about 35 days on them and echo JesseJames sentiments. I am surprised they came in so much lower rated than the Orvis, I'll check the Orvis out when these wear out. I like everything about them except the gravel guard hook as was mentioned inthe review, but I'm willing to forgive that for a pair of zip-fronts that are 1/2 of Simms price. I just don't use the hook and the guards stay in place pretty well.

2. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

I can't believe there are waders called red balls

3. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Salesman: "......and here, Mr.James, is our latest product-the world's largest zippered fly!......and around in back notice the cleverly concealed breathable waders........."

Jesse: ''I'll take them at any price and never fish without them again!! My junk will thank me for it."

4. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

You whippersnappers haven't a clue; those were about the only ones available in the old days :D

Don Freeman likes this.
  5. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

My dad still uses Red Balls. He is just about ready to retire them and move to something breathable. He didn't get back into it until September or October, so breathable hasn't really been an issue.

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

I have owned two pairs and they have performed very well....I think my first pair were clearwaters, excellent value, then I bought some silver'labels (or something like that) years later and I actually like them more then my higher end Patagonias. At this time I cant think of anything that has been 'Bad' I purchased at Orvis...including reels, clothing, and flies.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  7. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

How many of you remember Seal Dri 50's and 100's. I had the 100's with wool socks
    folded over the wading boots for gravel guards. Thought they were pretty revolutionary
    at the time and beat the hell out of anything I had previously which isn't saying much.

Steve Call likes this.
  8. teedub

teedub Active Member

Nobody mentioned Bailey zip waders. I have a pair of the lighter material ones and they held up really well - they are the ones I often choose in the hot months when I am most likely to bushwhack more and still no failures and leaks. I know they are not well thought of by some, but as far as I am concerned they have been reliable.

9. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    I would have liked to see more mentioned about durability. There are many posts on this forum where people ask about how quickly waders from various companies wear out. How is abrasion resistance measured? Who does the testing? The hygrometer for humidity is a fantastic idea. I also like the part where they describe the choice of undergarments. Too many people fish with jeans under their waders.