2014 8 wt shootout (Yellowstone Angler)

Put a Joan Wullf Ambush line on any rod, it will cast a mile if that's what you're into/need.

You could rig up a 10' stick of 1/2" PVC, and I bet you could throw it 60'.

Drifter

I thought they said it was an 8 weight shoot-out???

So they take a 7 wt. sage and put it way up in an 8 weight shoot-out - now that's some funny shit!
So just how did the 8 wt method do? guess we will never know!

Peyton00

Put a Joan Wullf Ambush line on any rod, it will cast a mile if that's what you're into/need.

You could rig up a 10' stick of 1/2" PVC, and I bet you could throw it 60'.
Is it really that good? I haven't used it. but if you say its top shelf, i will give it a try.

nailbender

So just how did the 8 wt method do? guess we will never know![/quote]

Its on there Mark, they also did the winston in 7 and 8 wieght.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
I saw that earlier today. A relatively inexpensive TFO rod was near the top of the list.
Much like the Winston Passport making it into the top 10 (#6 if memory serves) in a 5 wt shootout a few years back. Just goes to show that a lot of value can be had if one can stay clear of the marketing hype. I still have a Cabela's Fish Eagle II 906.2 that fires line as well as my RPL's, BxII and Legend Elite's.

g_smolt

Recreational User
Very suspect...

No ECHO rods, even though the E3s and PRIME are awesome casting and fishing tools.

Oh well...one shop' s opinion.

To me it is what you like and your casting stroke. I like slower action rods. And a lot of the rods in this shoot out aren't for me. My brother has a tighter casting stroke and likes rod a little faster then me. So I don't pay much attention to these shoot outs. The best way is to try them your self. But that is just me.