24 inch Yak rainbow?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by BDD, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    And you thought the wenatchee was zoo when it opened, imagine how many people would be on the yak if it had a descent steelhead run. it would be a frickin zoo!

Dave- I think that the top is a chromer and agree with bdd that the bottom one is not 22 :rofl:

2. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Steel, Res, Res, gross :thumb:

3. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Close enough I'd bet 90% accurate, its kinda like trying to tell dolly varden from arctic char.

Plus if you catch a hog you can call a res rainbow, call it a res rainbow it sounds much cooler...

4. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

Jergens, at least if there was a steelhead run on the Yak it would spread the fishing pressure out between Yak, Wenatchee and Methow. Regardless of our fishing interests though, there should be more steelhead in the Yakima. I wonder what the feasibility of fish passage over some of those dams is? The upper cle elum river and some of those tribs are pretty pristine.

5. Yakfish

Yakfish Dad, Angler, Guide

Home Page:
    "David, I'm glad you tuned in as I didn't want to post without your permission. Acutally, the pic where you are smiling is much better:)

My guesses are: first pic is a steelhead, next two are trout (and there is no way the last one is 22...If it was that big, you shouldn't have been one-handing it:)...that's probably what you told your client to make him feel better:)."

BDD, I think you landed/netted that 22 incher for me and snapped the photo. That's that big olle streamer eater from the Upper River a few years ago. We measured it at 22 inches. The picture must be at a funny angle, and I can't help that I have huge massive hands, ha, ha.

Nonetheless, what a great fishery.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Maybe if you would of just said that it was a 24" Rainbow. You could of stayed out of any arguement about what kind of fish it was. They are all rainbows. It's just that some are bigger than others.

And not to change the subject. There are resident rainbows in the N/F Stilly that also get on the bigger side.

So I would say nice fish.

Jim

7. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

I'm surprised only one person mentioned scale samples...

I've heard from many different fisheries biologists that the only really 100% accurate way to tell if a fish has been to the salt or not, is by looking at scale samples which is similar to looking at the rings of a tree to figure out it's past history.

I would guess that a very bright fish would probably be a steelhead but they darken and take on their 'resident' coloration the longer they're in the river in addition to reverting back to their feeding habits...

at any rate, I'm just surprised that the scale samples haven't really been talked about...

~Randy

8. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

prediction: 4 page article in Northwest Fly Fishing Magazine with real sized centerfold of the controversial 22 inch fish

9. Lex

Lex Active Member

Player hater. I have big hands and was wearing gloves. That said, I drive a small car ;) So size doesn't matter, does it?

Powder monkey, this is a 19 inch bow taken from the exact same spot during spring time on the upper Yak.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=15780&ppuser=6158

This spot seems to hold a lot of big fish. I hooked in to one the previous day that appeared to exceed the size of 22 inches but lost it as it jumped out of the water. All the other guys in the family have at one time or another caught a big fish out of that hole. The sopt is in a residential area so it doesn't get pounded by walk-in FFers is the only thing I can guess..

10. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

11. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

Scale samples are really useful, mostly for aging fish. We can then infer if they've been anadromous because obviously an anadromous fish will have a greater length/age ratio given the more productive foraging conditions in the ocean. Another way of determining the past migratory history of a fish is called Otolith microchemistry. The otolith is the ear bone of the fish and when a steelhead or other salmonid spends time in the ocean it accumulates a certain strontium ion at much higher levels. Only problem with otoliths is you have to cut the fishes skull open to get them, so its not so good on depressed or endangered populations.

If you ever catch a fish around that size take a couple scales. seriously. you have to take them from just a little ways behind the dorsal fin and around the lateral line. These are the oldest scales on the fish and consequently will show record of its entire growth history.

Will

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Not something we really want the average joe fisherman doing... especially if the fish is an EAS listed steelhead - heck, even if it's just a nice big wild yakima bow. Good C&R (or even CPR) should not include amatures trying to take a scale sample. It was nice fish - leave it at that, handle as little as possible and let it swim. Let the bios do the river surveys and samplings....

13. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Will,
    Thanks for the scale info about were to get them from, I actually learned something on the main forum today.

14. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Damn Zen. It must be hard knowing everything about everything related to fly fishing. :p

15. Dave Hartman

Dave Hartman Strip'n Flywear

Home Page:
    While I'd agree that we probably don't want to be flaking scales off our fish, it's still an interesting topic. Will, what does someone do with the scales once they've got 'em? Who do you take them to to find out more?